Jaysus cycling! (6 Viewers)

Sir, – I was dismayed to read Garrett Ledwith’s letter (April 11th) and his comments regarding cyclists’ and car drivers’ behaviour in Dublin. Having seen cyclists merrily break red lights while holding just one hand on the handlebar, or cross lanes of traffic by going in between lines of cars while shouting cheerily to their friends, I can only say that Mr Ledwith’s experience does not coincide with mine.

During the above instances the watching motorists were holding their breath and praying nothing was going to happen to the fools. And yes, the motorists were obeying the lights.

Motorists are no saints. They break red lights too, but usually only when it is safe to do so. Motorists have more to lose than cyclists — they pay insurance, road tax and maintenance costs. The Garda usually ticket the motorist, not the cyclist. Cyclists don’t pay the first two and I often wonder when I am driving at night if some of them even buy lamps. Cyclists are of course more vulnerable than motorists to accident and injury but you wouldn’t think so to see some of their behaviour at junctions – or to listen to some of their defenders in the media. Cycling in the cities is a dangerous practice, cycle lanes are not always available — there is a financial crisis after all — and cyclists should keep that in mind.

As for bus lanes, it’s about time Dublin City Council had a proper review of the traffic volume each bus lane has. We have all seen bus lanes with no traffic on them while the adjoining lane was full. The placing of these lanes should also be reconsidered — if there’s a more wasteful bus lane than the one at the junction of George’s Street and Dame Street in Dublin I have yet to see it. Traffic other than buses and taxis are forced into a diversion which must cost them 10-15 minutes extra time at rush hour, thereby increasing pollution and expense for all concerned. Yours, etc,

LIAM COOKE,

Greencastle Avenue,

Coolock,

Cycling safety and bus lanes - Letters | The Irish Times - Mon, Apr 14, 2014

This sums up how shit the Irish Times has gotten since Geraldine Kennedy retired. I can't imagine shite like the above being printed in her time.

also, lamps

That's two people dismayed in a row. I'm dismayed to hear about this outbreak of dismayed people :(

also: there is a financial crisis after all. Just putting that out there.

Geraldine may have paid herself a fat salary but when you see how shit the IT has become since she left she was actually worth double it.

My parents had it in the house every day when I was growing up, I bought it daily in college, Saturday mornings used begin with the paper and a nice breakfast. Very rare I'd bother with it now.

:(

Anyway, carry on.

thats it exactly. The content of the letter is ridiculous. I'm amazed the editor chose to publish it.

They've published far worse shite in the last couple of years.

Call it sad, but a couple of friends of mine had a competition a few years ago to get letters published in the IT. Because back then it was a witty couple of lines, a "is this a first" or else a "I really know what the fuck I'm talking about and my letter will be a great contribution to the readers of the IT".

Now they'll publish any oul shite

*scowl*

I saw that, plus another couple of comments on other things. I read the artical and he comes to a few interesting conclusions from the data there. Reminds me of the time my old stats lecturer "proved" that increased use of condoms led to increased incidences of STDs.
hows yer new bike working out for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back