MOTD50 (2 Viewers)

Hector Grey

Contributor
Since 2000
Anyone watch the 1964 MOTD. Arse versus Liverpool. Man, it was a different game. Interesting though. Loved the linesman coming on the pitch so he could keep an eye on the offsides. And every simple reverse pass is met with "Oh! Lovely ball!" And the sway of the Kop, like every mosh pit you've ever been in, all at once, except with added piss. Lovely.

And every simple reverse pass is met with "Oh! Lovely ball!"

Noticed this when they played the full 1957 FA Cup Final a while ago. There was a kinda awkward nutmeg at one point at it was greeted like the best piece of skill ever. There wasn't much tekkers in the old days. Not a great environment for it what with muddy pitches, license to kill opponents, etc.

Anyone watch the 1964 MOTD. Arse versus Liverpool. Man, it was a different game. Interesting though. Loved the linesman coming on the pitch so he could keep an eye on the offsides. And every simple reverse pass is met with "Oh! Lovely ball!" And the sway of the Kop, like every mosh pit you've ever been in, all at once, except with added piss. Lovely.

Back when MOTD was 30 or 35 they did a similar anniversery thing, over a number of nights they had that match, a United-Spurs double header from 65 or 66, the famous Leeds/Southanpton game in the early 70's, and a late 70's Arsenal game with the Irish lads smashing the shit out of some no hopers. My dad recorded them all and during the early to mid 90's I must have nearly worn out the video tape rewatching them constantly.

Oddly enough most of my childhood memories seemed to happen on ITV. My first FA cup final was us vs the Kopites in 87, the first one I gave a shite about was us vs the kopites in 89, I was 6 and 8 though so I didn't really care as much as I would these days but still. Anyway avoiding relegation was on RTE's Differed coverage in 1994, and Qualifying for the CL in 05 was on Sky and Premier soccer saturday. So basically my only good MOTD memory was the FA cup final in 1995 on BBC.

The documentary was pretty good but no mention of Le Tiss ? Murinho moaning was amazing and the Yeboah part was great.

It's the only show I can get here so I watch it it's improved a bit lately actually. Shearer isn't just saying "he has to do better" anymore. He's no Gary Neville though.

Bet he never thought he'd hear that.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here are the highlights. The quality isn't that bad. I was expecting hoofball with everyone kicking lumps out of each other. Those heavy leather balls must have been awful to play with though.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here are the highlights. The quality isn't that bad. I was expecting hoofball with everyone kicking lumps out of each other. Those heavy leather balls must have been awful to play with though.

Do you remember how heavy these yokes were ?

mitre-delta-1000.jpg

We played most of our matches with one of these which were ridiculous.

goal_1280x1024.jpg

They were basically a leather brick that sucked in water and when you headed them expelled it's mucky load into your eyes. You could tell who headed the ball properly - i.e kept their eyes open. By how blinded they got.

At home though everyone used to chip in a shell out for one of these

tango-river-plate.jpg

Waterproof and light, didn't last pissing time but you felt like Maradona just holding it.

Those Mitre and O'Neills balls :-( I remember as a kid being able to see a 20 yard pass but not having the strength to play it, having to toe-bog it to get it anywhere. That was depressing. It turned football into a game of strength rather than skill. The O'Neills ball had no grip. Trying to control it was near impossible. Especially if it was spinning and spraying water at you.

Those Mitre and O'Neills balls :-( I remember as a kid being able to see a 20 yard pass but not having the strength to play it, having to toe-bog it to get it anywhere. That was depressing. It turned football into a game of strength rather than skill. The O'Neills ball had no grip. Trying to control it was near impossible. Especially if it was spinning and spraying water at you.
If you'd gone see the lads from my neighbourhood play out on the field you during the week you could tell we were all watching Milan, Napoli, Sampdoria and Juve Come the weekend it was straight back to playing like Wimbledon. Shame really. The best games I ever played in were organised 11 vs 11 estate vs estate matches during the summer.

No ref and the games were fairer too.

Those were great, those games on the green in the estate on a summer Saturday evening where you'd play until it got too dark to see the ball. Close control in a tight space, spotting a pass, little neat pieces of skill - that was the stuff that mattered. Not a Mitre or O'Neills ball in sight. If only that type of football had been nurtured and developed more.

Those were great, those games on the green in the estate on a summer Saturday evening where you'd play until it got too dark to see the ball. Close control in a tight space, spotting a pass, little neat pieces of skill - that was the stuff that mattered. Not a Mitre or O'Neills ball in sight. If only that type of football had been nurtured and developed more.
Could only play that way during the summer. Mid March - early October you could play football on the estate greens. During the summer the pitches would be rock hard from being battered by being played on by lads in boots while basically a puddle for 9 months.

It always seemed to me that you could play better on grass in these

Rather than in boots in a puddle. So the green round the corner from me was like a putting green all year (When it got mowed anyway) then when we played proper matches it was like playing on either a car park or a bog.

All down to funding though innit ?

Sorry you're right that was 86 I was 5. So the title win was in 87 that was on ITV too. I don't remember much of it except my older cousins being livid about it.

I remember 87 vividly as I had my confirmation that morning and I insisted on going straight home for the build-up - no celebratory lunch shite for me - even though I don't even support Coventry or Spurs. It was the FA Cup like, I'm not missing that.

And a cracker it was too!

I remember 87 vividly as I had my confirmation that morning and I insisted on going straight home for the build-up - no celebratory lunch shite for me - even though I don't even support Coventry or Spurs. It was the FA Cup like, I'm not missing that.

I miss the FA cup being at that level. 95 was the best day of my football life. Typical that United cheapened it.

Interestingly the cups in europe are still a big deal. Copa Italia matches are way better than most Serie A games and the Cop Del Rey is fucking class.

Fucking terrific game as well.

That Arse - Pool game is the first of the season, which is why the pitch doesn't look like the Somme and the lads are trying to keep it on the ground.

Mitre balls are the best. Anyone who enjoys playing with those feather-light moddrin balls is a chancer, a sunshine boy and a creep.
No way. The new balls are bollox alright but the Adidas Tango all the way.

The first ever Nike Premier league ball was pretty much the perfect balance between weight and flightiness.

This one I think

Nike_EPL_Balls_IMG1.jpg

It felt like kicking a ball. but it didn't feel like a concussion to head it. It was waterproof and most importantly you had to actually try to curl it without it just swerving off like the new beach ball yokes or wrap your whole body around it to get the slightest movement like those old mitre things. Anyway my biggest gripe with the mitres was always the fact that they got heavier when they got wet. Or got egg shaped if you sat on them that was a pain in the hole because some thick cunt would always insist on sitting on them.

We played most of our matches with one of these which were ridiculous.

goal_1280x1024.jpg

They were basically a leather brick that sucked in water and when you headed them expelled it's mucky load into your eyes. You could tell who headed the ball properly - i.e kept their eyes open. By how blinded they got.

The only thing worse than an Oneils size 5 was an Oneils size 4. Whoever invented that was a cruel bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back