Temple Bar listed among world’s 10 most disappointing locations (1 Viewer)

I think that is mostly because it is SO overhyped. People come to Dublin seeking this wondrous Temple Bar of restaurants, pubs and "boutique" shops and find that everyone else had the same idea, and most of them have already sampled too much, that nobody warned them about the prices and that the photographs were all taken on a sunny Monday afternoon in December, not a busy Summer Saturday/Sunday. When it's not full of disappointed tourists and hen/stag parties it's actually a pretty nice place to wander around.

Yeah, I often notice how lovely Temple Bar is on a nice Sunday morning. It always surprises me considering how hellish it is only 8 hours before.

It is, however, an overpriced tourist trap. But sure everywhere has one.

I remember reading an interview with Aimee Mann, or at least I think it was Aimee Mann, years ago in Q or some shit, and she was saying that Temple Bar was one of the worst places she’d ever been to, and that she literally had to step over pools of vomit on her way to her gig. I got a bit annoyed that she was slagging off Dublin and stopped listening to her for a while but I can totally see she was right now.

Walk by somewhere like the Norseman on an afternoon. All along the inside of the window you will see the disappointed "Is this it?" tourist faces staring out.
All the planning, the packing, the flying, the excitement of "going to Dublin!" etc etc. has all led to them sitting nursing a €3.50 glass of Guinness and staring out the window, wondering what was the fucking point in the first place.
Temple Bar is a place where hope comes to drown.

A kip among kips.

Here's what she said in that article

Temple Bar, Dublin

The city of Dublin is great. There's a castle and gorgeous architecture, there are renowned colleges and green spaces, and there are many other things to see and do that go beyond the tired "Irish culture equals pubs" stereotype. The Temple Bar area of Dublin, however, is a prime example of the rampant fleecing of drunken tourists that should be avoided at all costs. This small area caters to visitors competing to see how drunk they can get in "authentic" bars and nightclubs (a.k.a. overpriced tourist traps). Avoid it at all costs and seek out a pub literally anywhere else in Dublin for a better experience.

She's spot on, Dublin is great. Temple bar is disgusting.

Most overrated places I've been to are Portugal and Disney World.

I'd put London on there. Infinite dreariness. Most people love it, but it's not for me.

And probably Galway city. A great place to drink when you're in college. Can't imagine wanting to go there after you're 30.

Vienna

although I'd go back and just plan to avoid the 99% of urban sprawl in favour of the 1% nice.

I'd put London on there. Infinite dreariness. Most people love it, but it's not for me.

And probably Galway city. A great place to drink when you're in college. Can't imagine wanting to go there after you're 30.
London’s grand.

Portugal because I went there on a family holiday when I was beginning to think I was too old for family holidays and I was bored and Disney World for the same reasons mentioned in that article.

In my five years living in London I’ve never been to Brighton. Going next week. I imagine I’ll be disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back