Six Nations 2014 (1 Viewer)

Soccer was banned in our secondary school. A limited form of tag rugby was reluctantly introduced when I was in sixth year.

In primary school the playing fields were located about 15/20 minutes away. The gates were locked by the Christian Brothers when not in use but we could sneak in through the ditches. If we were caught playing soccer they would throw us out. I left primary school in 1984 but continued to play sneaky soccer matches there for years afterwards. We were still being kicked out into the early 2000s. It's only in recent years [since the actual Brothers left the town / died] that the rules have been relaxed.

The playing field [also known as The CBS Park] is situated on the "top road". I grew up on the "bottom road". In 1978 an annual soccer match started on 27 December [Top v Bottom]. The 36th incarnation was played on 27 December 2013. It's now called The Wolf Match and most of the personnel have changed.

Fair enough if the illegalities become part of the intrigue. Playing the ref is part of any sport where humans officiate. But diving doesn't appeal to me personally in any way, shape or form. And it turns a lot of neutrals off the game.

Haha, maybe so. Maybe there's something in the glory of a team like Greece winning the Euros that appeals to the downtrodden. But I see nothing in a shit team, playing negative football, jamming a few wins and collecting a trophy.
Whoa, hold on there. Let's not confuse Greece with Chelski here. Greece gave a master class in defending and playing to your strengths. Personally I found most of their games fascinating if not thrilling.

Chelski on the other hand gave a masterclass in pure fluke wins that made me fucking hate them more than even I thought possible. But that's real life and sometimes (In fact most of the time) the most evil, shameful and disgusting people win.

John-Terry-008.jpg

^^^^
Look there he is now.

and here's his "real life" equivalent winning an "election"

Robert-Mugabe-010.jpg

Well that was a pile of shite. There's always next year.

cracking game, more so given the dross that was served up in the other two this weekend, but craig joubert gives even steve walsh a run for his money as a spotlight-stealing ref - as uneven and inconsistent a performance by a ref as i can remember for a while. farrell could and should have been carded for the head-high, arms-free tackle on murray. obvious english hands in the scrum with ireland inside the 22 at 13-10. draw would have been a fair result.

Why did you bother. I called it 3 or 4 pages back.

quiet now, the adults are talking.

What's the tally? Them top road lads are hoors.

Top road had the edge until the early 1990s. Since then it's been a shift towards Old Lads vs Young Guys. The catchment area has widened a bit too and other people from the town are now involved.
Although there's at least two or three people from the inaugural 1978 one still playing [they're 47 / 48 now]

I last played in 1989 so usually referee or do the video camera now.

In 2003 the focus shifted to money when the Young Guys started calling themselves The Wolves and had their own kit made with numbers and names on the back. They also had moody black and white team-shots taken.

by coincidence (re: john grant thread today) was talking to a buddy today who's not into sport, who said "so soccer is basically coldplay, rugby is radiohead and cricket is that aussie jazz group you like" (meaning the necks).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back