Zed vs Zee (1 Viewer)

Zed is the correct way to pronounce Z. Zee is only there to fit in with the rhyme. Diabolical if you ask me.

But isn't there some mad new way of pronouncing the alphabet phoneticlaly now that kids learn? i.e. 'a' is no longer 'ey' but 'ah' etc etc.....

So that means that 'z' is 'zuh' or something?

But isn't there some mad new way of pronouncing the alphabet phoneticlaly now that kids learn? i.e. 'a' is no longer 'ey' but 'ah' etc etc.....

They're bringing out a new childrens book.
It's the alphabet and next to each letter there are pictures of celebrities who are on that letter's list.

Sure they've been using ah instead of ay in Ireland for years.

Sure they've been using ah instead of ay in Ireland for years.

Yeah true ... I'm not explaining this very well .... instead of 'bee' for 'b' it's kind of like 'buh', and 'cuh' for 'c' etc etc.

Yeah true ... I'm not explaining this very well .... instead of 'bee' for 'b' it's kind of like 'buh', and 'cuh' for 'c' etc etc.

They call it the phonetic alphabet or something. Silly idea - probably an American who came up with it in support of their insistance on zee instead of the correct zed. ;)

Ah I know what you mean I just thought I'd point out that us Irish are way ahead of them.

So. This being my expert subject and all :)

There's been huge debate and change recently in the way the initial sounds are taught, the alphabet itself is not really relevant cos you dont teach them in the order they appear in the alphabet. The current theory is to teach them is a sequence where you group the ones that dont look or sound similar, so you wouldnt ever teach b, d and p together, too much confusion.

There are many different ways, one is Letterland which was madly fashionable a few years ago and is now pretty much gone. Each letter has a little character and a song eg bouncy ben says B. Problem was that kids got really attached to the characters and never got to know the actual letter names, so you'd ask a child what sound is for fish and they'd answer Fireman Fred etc etc

Another one is Jolly Phonics in which each letter has an action to go with it, its based on a multi sensory approach. There's much more chance of a child retaining a sound if all senses are used, movement, sound, visual etc etc

The proponents of one system are vicious in their criticism of all the others but I think a combination of the best bits of all of them is best since each child will learn in different ways, some are visual, others are auditory learners, others kinaesthetic and so on.

Synthetic phonics is the current system being used in the UK, here its up to each school/teacher.

I've had great fun this year teaching the sounds to a senoir infant dude, we had months of FFFFF for mouse and many others before it finally clicked. He also had an obsession with the word gate, so if I asked him to tell me somewthing starting with c or t or m or whatever, he's say GATE every single time.:)

And its Zed by the way ;)

And Hugh I know what you're saying but its actually so wrong to say buh or whatever, you're meant to pronounce the sound as purely as you can without a makey up vowel ending....

I've overheard some teachers from "the country" being particularly bad at this :rolleyes:

On the first stargate atlantis, MacKay said Zed Pee Emm (for ZPM) and McGuyver looked at him funny. "He's Canadian" came the response.

It's Zed.

I have a South African friend whose name is Zee, but I call her Zed. This, becasue she is named after the letter in the Arabic Alphabet.

No one gets it though. No one. Except her.

The yanks call it Zee. They also say Aluminum instead of Aluminium. Go figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back