Your work situation (23 Viewers)

I got paid twice this month by the umbrella company that deals with my pay - i'm a contractor.

I don't want to pay it back. But I guess I have to?

It's never happened to me, but it has happened enough times to my umbrella companies find a way. They have procedures (not all totally legal) to fix their own cock-ups.

i once took down our online credit card system for paying bills for two days.
in reality, it was someone else's fault. he was laughing at me though saying i'd cost the company a couple of hundred grand. which was horseshit, we don't forgive bills just because you can't pay by credit card for a day or two.

A customer recently needed us on an emergency callout, incident was Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon, we could only get there on the Thursday morning. They had to shut down a kitchen for the Wednesday evening.

Chef, not even the owner, to our lad, "because you're only here now we lost 5 grand last night."

Our lad "I pass by here regularly through the week. You did in your shite, you're never busy on Wednesdays."

A customer recently needed us on an emergency callout, incident was Tuesday night/Wednesday afternoon, we could only get there on the Thursday morning. They had to shut down a kitchen for the Wednesday evening.

Chef, not even the owner, to our lad, "because you're only here now we lost 5 grand last night."

Our lad "I pass by here regularly through the week. You did in your shite, you're never busy on Wednesdays."

why are so many chefs such cunts?

I got paid twice this month by the umbrella company that deals with my pay - i'm a contractor.

I don't want to pay it back. But I guess I have to?

Its a tricky one - as far as I'm aware if its their cock up, and not due to any fucking around on your side they can't reclaim it.

also if its gone through proper payroll channels, and you've been taxed, you're all clear with the MAN as well.

I remember about 3K mysteriously appeared in my account from a previous employer about 6months after I left the job. I rang my previous line manager to see if he knew what it might be. His advice was 'say fucking nothing'.

i was always at that. back to sort out user problems and thats my profit gone. took me a while to build in that additional expense
It just happens.. happens to everybody

Upside I wrote a song called Big Work Small Pay this afternoon

fingers crossed for you Jones, but from talking to folks I know in your place, it shouldn't be your side of the house that gets impacted.
Yup, I think this is the case. I'm not crazy worried, myself, other than the general doom of being the only wage in the house, with a kid etc.

Setting up for an event in a shit hotel that likes to think its a posh hotel. This unbelievable prick of a hotel manager almost injures one of my guys stomping about with his chest out, hating the fact that we're there doing our cool event shit. Cunts us all off and disappears.

We went back to the event space and I had to tell my client about this. The hotel doesn't like us being here so, Client goes to try and find out what exactly happened and he gets roared at by same prick. So my client didn't know what had actually occurred, but he knew by pricks behaviour that the guy had done something wrong.

My guy had to leave site, even though he really absolutely did nothing at all wrong. Client was totally on our side, which was wierd but good, normally we're the easiest to shit on.

snippets from the rest of the day (none by me and misremembered):
Hotel Manager: I want to speak to your company director.
Client: I am the company director.

Client to hotel manager: The person you had a problem with has left site, so now I'm a person down. I have a show to deliver.
Hotel manager: We'll give you one of our staff.
C: Not great but ok.
- Some time later -
A different hotel manager: We can give you one of our staff, for £35/hour.
- A perfectly gauged silence -
C: Fuck no.

DHM (to client): I have to tell you that your company is no longer welcome to manage events in this hotel.
C: That's fine. I advised my client not to use this hotel in the first place, because it's not very good, but they insisted. I'm quite happy to never come here again.

The client got quite upset about it actually, but seeing as he's running a business and has a job to do, he had to try to keep as calm as he could. We did all want to punch a wall.
He told us he rang up his sister about it just to vent. His sister is a big fancy pants legal barrister. She laughed at the basic-ness of it and said "That's pretty straightforward. On Monday I'll get someone in the office to draft you a letter".

The dude who had to leave was a black British young man. The client was British Asian. I do feel there was a more than a smidgen of racism about it all. No one said anything to me, the tall white haired white man. And I'm the biggest prick in the room.

Anyway. the set and stage looked really good. An excellent example of turd polishing and glitter rolling on my part.

When I get asked to work in hotels these days I generally just say no. They are all a fucking joke. They all think they are class and have great spaces for events, but none of them have a fucking clue how to facilitate actually setting up an event. When you ask if you can take big boxes up in the big spacious lift at the front reception, they all tell you to fuck off, you have to use the shitty tiny back lift which is beside the kitchen grease traps and doesn't fit half of your shit, and that's if they even have a lift for you to use at all. Fuck hotel events.

Edit: A few years back, just before the pandemic, I did a Sony event thing in a hotel place on Harcourt street. We loaded gear in the front during the day and set up, no problem. Then for load out afterwards, they told us that we couldn't go back down and out the same way. Instead, in order to avoid customers coming in for the night club downstairs, we'd have to take our gear out through the beer garden at the back, and then push our boxes and shit all the way to Camden street, the closest parking space.
I scouted the route out, and by this time, of course, the beer garden had completely filled up with all the people we were meant to be avoiding by going through the beer garden, to the extent that you literally couldn't go through it without asking several groups of people to move out of the way.
So I just said "Fuck this" and got the van driver to come back round to the front, and we just brought all the stuff out the front way that we'd come in. The manager lad tried to complain and ask what we were at etc, I just told him "This will take 5 minutes, 10 minutes max" and we did it the fucking normal way and got it done and everybody was happy, except for the absolute fucking moron that wanted us to go the totally mental way instead.
Fuck hotels.

Literally, this guy's solution to us potentially bumping into the odd person coming in through the front door, was to somehow go through a small beer garden jammed full of about 100 people without constantly bumping into them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back