Your work situation (4 Viewers)

counterpoint: a friend just commented that he works in the public service where it is almost impossible to be fired, and it does not discourage lying at all. just sweep everything under the carpet.

interesting, albeit brief, discussion in work recently about outsourcing work to cheaper economies; and it confirmed some behaviour i've seen myself. lax employment law encourages dishonesty; if you mess up, you lie. because telling the truth means you're likely to lose your job, so you've nothing to lose by lying.

i've seen it a few times where people blatantly lie about things it can be proved they did; and i think one of the more interesting interactions was a few months back where there was a relatively serious incident landed in my queue, and i was telling the incident manager that no fucking way should it be in my queue, it was someone else's fuckup; and she tried to reassure me that i needn't worry about it ending up on my employment record; she is obviously used to dealing with people scared of being blamed (rightly or wrongly) for incidents.
its not great in the first instance if the policy is to find someone to blame for the incident.

that's baked in; there's a problem, raise a ticket, and if you raise a ticket, it has to be assigned to someone/some team.
and it's often in that team's annual objectives; e.g. no fewer than 3 P1s/12 P2s per year etc.

Ah ok, so you mean being responsible for owning/fixing incidents, rather than causing them.

Incident management is part of my job. It absolutely doesn't work unless it is blame-free in the first instance, and there are very clearly defined areas of ownership, in the second.

yes, that is clearly what the incident manager was trying to let me know, but for the guys on the ground, the situation may not be so clear cut. one of the guys on the team knows of two instances where people were fired for fuckups, and he reckons the root cause was a lack of training in at least one of them. but there's also a reluctance to provide training, because that costs money and the whole point is to keep things cheap.

yes, that is clearly what the incident manager was trying to let me know, but for the guys on the ground, the situation may not be so clear cut. one of the guys on the team knows of two instances where people were fired for fuckups, and he reckons the root cause was a lack of training in at least one of them. but there's also a reluctance to provide training, because that costs money and the whole point is to keep things cheap.
you pay peanuts, you get monkeys

that sounds fucked up. Some trigger happy pricks in your place if they'd fire someone over stuff like that.

it's all abroad, at arm's length. hiring and firing decisions happen over there, management here remain squeaky clean. and i would be very surprised if this company is unusual in that respect.

i once took down our online credit card system for paying bills for two days.
in reality, it was someone else's fault. he was laughing at me though saying i'd cost the company a couple of hundred grand. which was horseshit, we don't forgive bills just because you can't pay by credit card for a day or two.

Ah ok, so you mean being responsible for owning/fixing incidents, rather than causing them.

Incident management is part of my job. It absolutely doesn't work unless it is blame-free in the first instance, and there are very clearly defined areas of ownership, in the second.

Absolutely. A good example would be the Croydon Tram crash that happened only a few years ago. All the drivers knew that the "dead mans handle" didn't work properly. But if they were to raise that issue, they'd have had to admit that they'd fallen asleep at the helm. So no one did. Then a bunch of people died.

In a more light-hearted incident, I met a friend down the pub one Friday or Saturday. He works in a museum. He was told to do something in or around the museums most prized artifact over the weekend. He couldn't find the key though, and there was no management there to give him the key.

So, him being a resourceful chap, manages to get into the cabinet. Does what he needs to do. Job done. He had tripped the silent alarm obviously, but he didn't know that yet.

Then he notices two burly shifty guys, not obvious museum-goers. He walks up to them and says "Excuse me, are you undercover police?"

"Yes".

Think about that exchange for a minute.
These police were armed btw.

So pub-friend was telling me this thinking "I'm probably getting sacked on Monday".

I said "first of all, you're a fucking moron. But second of all, when you go into work on Monday, tell them you have discovered a serious security flaw. How could you get into that cabinet without the proper key nor access to the proper key, nor letting the police know that this would be happening?"

He still has a job there.

Last edited:
Miss the days of no one else in the office. Too busy now. Have to go out at lunch for peace which results in getting poor.

Wait til they come looking
Oooh I don't like having money which might not be mine at my fingertips. I'm going away next week so extra dangerous. I might say to them that the extra money got swallyed up by my overdraft so I can only afford to pay them back at the rate of £1 a month. Apparently they can't offset future wages and they can't get the bank to take it back, so they can either sue me or accept my terrible terms.

Oooh I don't like having money which might not be mine at my fingertips. I'm going away next week so extra dangerous. I might say to them that the extra money got swallyed up by my overdraft so I can only afford to pay them back at the rate of £1 a month. Apparently they can't offset future wages and they can't get the bank to take it back, so they can either sue me or accept my terrible terms.

Say nothing. Just squirrel it away in a Revolut account or whatever yous have over there. Leave it a year and if they don't come looking for it it's time for a nice lil holiday

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back