Your work situation (9 Viewers)

I never want to go to work
But I can separate it from the cheque I get on Friday
You have me from 8 til 5 and I'm gone for an hour at lunch

I cheerfully work to rule.

Now some prick has put a name on it called "quiet quitting" and I am concerned someone will cop on.

One of the managers just set this as their "out of office" automatic email reply

"I am out of the office until 20th September, to reflect on the reign of Her Majesty The Queen and have the time to observe this significant moment in our history",

She has just gone way down in my esteem.

And her a New Zealander.

Was this a reply to @therealjohnny 's post about the email auto-reply? "Whiteness"???

for me it is about whiteness, yeah
that's what the monarchy is with regard to teh colonial project
Europeans graciously bestow all the benefits of whiteness and refinement on black and brown countries at the end of a gun - while stealing all of their material wealth - that these inferiors may one day become like the white man.
same as they did here before we got a promotion to being white, not all that long ago.

The foundation of it all is "we're better than you", which is also the monarchy's whole reason for being, as far as I see it

I don't know Johnny's colleague,, she''s probably lovely. But if you grow up an ardent monarchist in a former colony, then at some level you have bought into a pretty fucked up narrative on how your country came to be.

These aren't just things that happened, what happened during colonisation are foundational crimes against humanity. Some of the worst things that have ever happened. And all based on a lie about racial superiority.

Maybe I'm reading too much into an out of office email. But it's the internet, and we're allowed do that, I think. RIght?

That was probably a bit more ranty than it needed to be

I tend to go off on my own particular idiom sometimes

Love to all

I for one am glad you posted in this thread, as it meant that the most recent alert is for this thread, which gives me a viable excuse to have a moan about my work situation.

We're not really short staffed anymore, so much as having guys we need to keep (they are all guys) no matter how rubbish they are. That makes them think they can coast a bit, even though they were rubbish in the first place. That puts a lot of pressure on the likes of me, the guys who have to mind them.

I wouldn't get annoyed at a guy on his first day of course, but ffs, you've been doing this for a year and you're still really shit. "You don't need to be rude", well I don't need your shitness making us all look like idiots while causing me serious injuries and mental hardship, you should know better by now. I am thinking of a particular individual.

I am quite direct, but I try to explain later that I needed to be in the moment and smooth things over afterwards so we all get out safe, proper and quick, and this is what the job is. Being direct is not being rude. If I thought you were shit I'd give you a guitar and say "play an Oasis song". I don't think it's bullying like. He seems to think it is. That puts me in a real bad situation. I'm gonna just tell the office to keep us away from each other.

On the plus side, one of the new mans said to me earnestly "I knew from my first day, and I told the other guys, hang around seanc, he seems like a prick but listen to him, that's how shit gets done". And one of the other new guys, who is currently sleeping on his mates living room floor, might be moving in with me. He needs it.

I'm not a total asshole. That's just a tool in the toolbox. But I do want to help these humans.

I for one am glad you posted in this thread, as it meant that the most recent alert is for this thread, which gives me a viable excuse to have a moan about my work situation.

We're not really short staffed anymore, so much as having guys we need to keep (they are all guys) no matter how rubbish they are. That makes them think they can coast a bit, even though they were rubbish in the first place. That puts a lot of pressure on the likes of me, the guys who have to mind them.

I wouldn't get annoyed at a guy on his first day of course, but ffs, you've been doing this for a year and you're still really shit. "You don't need to be rude", well I don't need your shitness making us all look like idiots while causing me serious injuries and mental hardship, you should know better by now. I am thinking of a particular individual.

I am quite direct, but I try to explain later that I needed to be in the moment and smooth things over afterwards so we all get out safe, proper and quick, and this is what the job is. Being direct is not being rude. If I thought you were shit I'd give you a guitar and say "play an Oasis song". I don't think it's bullying like. He seems to think it is. That puts me in a real bad situation. I'm gonna just tell the office to keep us away from each other.

On the plus side, one of the new mans said to me earnestly "I knew from my first day, and I told the other guys, hang around seanc, he seems like a prick but listen to him, that's how shit gets done". And one of the other new guys, who is currently sleeping on his mates living room floor, might be moving in with me. He needs it.

I'm not a total asshole. That's just a tool in the toolbox. But I do want to help these humans.
One of the lads I work with a bit does a particular task almost every time he's working. Same place, same thing to do, same person doing it. Every single time I need to tell him how to do it properly. Been going on nearly a year now.

My two worlds clashed today. I was doing my main job, but I was doing it in one of the sporty ball venues from my other job.

Therefore, I spent a half hour before and another half hour after I clocked in phoning people and directing them around. Stadiums are big like. I was only guessing, and trying to get everyone in one place. But the client knew no better.

I waltzed through security because the main man knew my face and I had my fancy accreditation, and the rest of them who came through later didn't even realise that they were being waved through because I had set the groundwork before they arrived.

Then, behold, I have a fob.

Client said "You have a fob!? So we can get to where we need to be?"
"Yes. Why don't you have one?"
"I don't know, honestly. I'm here all the time but they won't give me a fob"
"How exactly did you expect this to happen if you can't even get in the door?"
"I dunno, but you have a fob".

Saved the job yet again.

Another thing: I did spend a bunch of time teaching new guys the basics. We had the time. Took a while to drill the basics into them, and the why of the basics. But kinda rewarding, personally.

Oh and also, got some numbers for future potential work. Faking it till I make it.

The "Windsor" emoji is interesting. I probably get/earn/make more money than the guy in charge of things today. And he is, in all ways that I can ascertain, better than me. It's just so strange over here and everyone is quite simply too polite to say so. I'm looking up to these guys, and they're so beaten down that they don't know what they've got to offer.

DO NOT SHOW THEM THIS THREAD.

I've often heard of people in tech who don't actually know anything about tech, but who manage to build a career on pulling the wool over people's eyes and bullshitting. Seems incredibly stressful to me, but each to their own.

I've met a couple of clueless managers, but I can only remember ever working with one senior tech guy who actually knew nothing - it was obvious to all the proper techies on his team, but nobody could figure out how to do anything about it so they just worked around him, and eventually he just went on to another job.

Always wondered how he got the job in the first place, and yesterday I found out - interviewed a "lead developer" with 10 years experience and a sizable github that sounded good until we got to the technical part of the interview, and then turned out to pretty much know nothing at all. He'd already had 3 non-technical interviews, and passed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
    Vicar Street
    58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
    Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
    Anseo
    18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back