Your work situation (14 Viewers)

I virtually can't do my job any more.

As can be probably seen by my thumped posting history.

I... no longer can. I can not. It's not great at all. I'm not even sure if it's burn out, or no longer giving a fuck at this point. I Should probably take some time off.

Has anyone else just kind of... ceased being able to do shit properly?
I've had periods in every job I've had where I did pretty much fuck all. With Mrs. egg_ sick atm it's particularly bad, have given up on the regular shit I'm supposed to be doing and mostly just doing exploratory stuff I'm interested in (which is actually working out pretty well for the team some of the time)

I... no longer can. I can not. It's not great at all. I'm not even sure if it's burn out, or no longer giving a fuck at this point. I Should probably take some time off.

I stared at the screen for a few hours, just couldn’t get my head around basic stuff that I had no issue with last week.
Then went in to some spreadsheets and put in blank spaces, so the last updated details changed and it looked like I did something.

yeah... @riath and @egg_ ... ok, good to know. Misery loves company I suppose.

But yeah, very familiar sounding. I liked to kid on as if I was doing exploratory work at one point, and I sort of learned some new stuff, but really I'm not.

I don't even have the opportunity to fill out some forms, similar to riath. I'm not even really giving the appearance to some extent. Man. It's bad.

How soon until you leave the states now?

It's on the order of weeks now. I've *probably* sold my car, which was sort of the point that I set in stone for booking flights and all that.

So, I'll probably be out by the end of the month / start of next month. Unless something (else) bonkers happens.

Although, having said that, the kids are driving me demented. So it's possibly even sooner. Heh.

I have to push myself pretty hard to get the functional basic done these days. The deadlines help for sure, if they weren't there i'd be essentially a low wattage space heater.

here, do you ever get into that thing where you just sit focused on a problem for hours, and you literally start cooling down. Like, your legs and feet and hands and stuff.

Then you get up, and ride home or something. And all the cold blood suddenly starts moving about and the rest of your body gets freezing, until your body realises what's going on.

Back when I used to be able to focus on things like.

I'm in a zoom meeting where we're all saying goodbye to a lad who's leaving, and everyone is going around saying what a great guy he is, we even have a doc where we are filling in good things about him. I get on fairly well with the guy, but I've basically spent the last 3 years arguing with him. Man this feels weird. Teh Yanks, wha?

I'm in a zoom meeting where we're all saying goodbye to a lad who's leaving, and everyone is going around saying what a great guy he is, we even have a doc where we are filling in good things about him. I get on fairly well with the guy, but I've basically spent the last 3 years arguing with him. Man this feels weird. Teh Yanks, wha?
Reverse this
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sounds like hell world thread material to me

I've had this alright.

Could be a January thing for yourself. Met so many people saying the same thing over the last few weeks.
Could also be that you're mentally checking out of your job right now with everything else that's going on

Yep. I've lost my mojo. My job involves an endless well of creative ideas to draw from and I feel that well ran dry some time ago. I'm wondering if I need a change of career, and to jump before I'm pushed, but as I can't do anything else and I'll be 50 soon I don't have many options.

Maybe I'll move to America. How soon will your house be free?

Yep. I've lost my mojo. My job involves an endless well of creative ideas to draw from and I feel that well ran dry some time ago. I'm wondering if I need a change of career, and to jump before I'm pushed, but as I can't do anything else and I'll be 50 soon I don't have many options.

It's scary enough. Every now and again I get the same feeling along the lines of how many more years would I be able to do the work.
But then if I wasn't doing this work, what else would I be doing? I could theoretically do other work I suppose, it's just that I stop giving a fuck and stop working unless I am interested.

I live in an apartment complex full of former juvenile detention people, mentally ill people, and immigrants. And it's the best neighbours I've had since I've moved to the country, presumably because there's few enough Americans, and any Americans there are are black. Remove the white americans and you've basically a dickhead filter in place. I'd recommend it, if you want to live in America. Which I would not recommend.

I've had this alright.

Could be a January thing for yourself. Met so many people saying the same thing over the last few weeks.
Could also be that you're mentally checking out of your job right now with everything else that's going on

The problem is I'm meant to be keeping this job in Ireland... but yeah, maybe just a Jan thing. I was able to do a day or so of work this week.

It's scary enough. Every now and again I get the same feeling along the lines of how many more years would I be able to do the work.
But then if I wasn't doing this work, what else would I be doing? I could theoretically do other work I suppose, it's just that I stop giving a fuck and stop working unless I am interested.

I live in an apartment complex full of former juvenile detention people, mentally ill people, and immigrants. And it's the best neighbours I've had since I've moved to the country, presumably because there's few enough Americans, and any Americans there are are black. Remove the white americans and you've basically a dickhead filter in place. I'd recommend it, if you want to live in America. Which I would not recommend.

The problem is I'm meant to be keeping this job in Ireland... but yeah, maybe just a Jan thing. I was able to do a day or so of work this week.
Ah, didn't realise you'd be keeping the job in Ireland.

Actually, just in relation to your first paragraph. I worked for a large government department for several years writing software code and doing database design. And I did get totally burnt out but it took me a while to cop on that I had. My burnout came through a combination of a really shitty work atmosphere and sheer repetitiveness of the job.

I changed jobs about 3 years ago. Now, I moved from a large govt dept to a local authority, and the job is still in IT but they are completely different, honestly. The new job's a lot more enjoyable and way more sociable even with the way things are currently. Really glad I made the move.

I did get locked into thinking in the old job that while I was really good at what I was working at there; I wouldn't be capable of doing anything different. And also got in to this weird head space of thinking "Well, if I'm not actually writing code, am I really working?" Which probably came from working solely with people performing the same type job as me. It's very easy to get bogged down in to that type of thinking and I can tell you from first hand experience, it's complete bullshit.

I hear you. I've been going through the motions for a long time, feeling increasingly miserable and trapped. Been in my current job 7 years, and another 7 would lead to me becoming a basket case. My plan is to stick it out for the next 12 months, save up some money so I can not work for a few months, quit (or get made redundant), take a few months to finish my masters and take stock of what I want to do next...

I hear you. I've been going through the motions for a long time, feeling increasingly miserable and trapped. Been in my current job 7 years, and another 7 would lead to me becoming a basket case. My plan is to stick it out for the next 12 months, save up some money so I can not work for a few months, quit (or get made redundant), take a few months to finish my masters and take stock of what I want to do next...
I got to 8 years in my old job and had to quit.
I'm also finishing out my degree at the moment. I'm future you! Sort of.

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • rettucs
  • S
  • MacDara
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back