Your work situation (10 Viewers)

Apart from weekends & bank holidays, I haven't taken a day off work since February. This is unprecedented.

Mate works for an online college. Wracking up 60 hour weeks. Currently on his 9th day in a row.

Poor bastard.

Swiss class sizes tend to be between 18 and 22 publicly, I think at most 15 privately, and I imagine they've actually invested in large, fit for purpose school buildings with adequate ventilation. I don't think modelling our response on other countries is useful, purely because our infrastructure is so far behind. Ireland is ranked lowest by the OECD in terms of education investment.

This is what I'm mostly afraid of, evidence is growing that airborne transmission is a massive factor, my own kids go to school in a dilapidated ex-convent school, no ventilation at all, yet the Department is....just putting them back in.

The roadmap yesterday was full of typos, which doesn't bode well! But more importantly, I'd been wondering as the intermittent guidelines have been released over the summer, were they predicating their decisions on the average Irish classroom size, or their preferred size?

The roadmap appears to answer that, there is a link to diagrams of how to lay out the classrooms to implement social distancing, and all bar two of the drawings are based on huge 80sqm rooms (two are 60sqm). I think the average room size in our school is 50sqm, so the plan is immediately moot. How many schools does that apply to?

Are children the little spreaders of the virus they were initially thought to be? Wasn't there some evidence to the contrary? Obviously your concern is for them not necessarily anyone else secondary to them but just curious...

There's only been one major study, the New York Times ran an article on it last week. 65,000 people in South Korea were tested, and the findings were that children under the age of 10 aren't super spreaders. Very scientific reason is most simply because they're short arses, so if a 5 year old coughs at a grown up, the droplets aren't high enough to make it into the airways. They do spread it to each other.

However, kids from 10+ were found to be at least as virulent as adults, if not more. So that covers from 3rd class up.

So, the evidence is that thankfully kids are mostly not getting sick from it, but they most definitely do spread it.

Everything that has happened since May has been a mockery basically. Came out of lockdown too early, started opening things up too early, huge shock the virus cases start creeping up again. No testing for travellers, no travel restrictions, huge shock people can bring the virus in from other countries.
But hey, 'The Economy' etc etc. Millions of people around the world dying from the virus, but sure 'The Economy'.

Just about every other European country returned with a cut down approach, cutting class sizes in half and doing a 2.5 day rota. It's insane to me this hasn't been rolled out first. If it goes well, you gradually move back to a fuller model.

2.5 day return is better than none, and far better than the proposition of pouring them back into the bucket of sick we're faced with.

Laid off. Foreman said it'll probably be only for two or three weeks. I hope thats the case and I havent been shit canned completely..but sure hey ho. Nice to have August off in my new studio!

Laid off. Foreman said it'll probably be only for two or three weeks. I hope thats the case and I havent been shit canned completely..but sure hey ho. Nice to have August off in my new studio!
That's shite. Hope it's not permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Activity
    So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
    Bello Bar
    1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
    Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
    Anseo
    18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
    Back