Your work situation (12 Viewers)

today, i spent half an hour trying to explain the arrow of time/causality to a so called technical engineer.

basically, it was a looped conversation of me trying to explain that because i made a configuration change on the backend at 10am, it could not affect the logs on the client written before 10am. a genuine 'but i see at 9:30am that the client is still trying to talk to the old system' followed by me replying 'that is correct that at 9:30am the client is trying to connect to the old system, but as i made the change at 10am, it's the logs after that you need to look at', repeated three times.

Had to pop into work during the week for stuff. Not too many people about but I did find out that 1 or 2 of the older bosses are still making their staff come to the office every day. Absolutely no fucking reason for it bar them being gobshites and not trusting their staff. Fuckers are putting people at risk.

today, i spent half an hour trying to explain the arrow of time/causality to a so called technical engineer.

basically, it was a looped conversation of me trying to explain that because i made a configuration change on the backend at 10am, it could not affect the logs on the client written before 10am. a genuine 'but i see at 9:30am that the client is still trying to talk to the old system' followed by me replying 'that is correct that at 9:30am the client is trying to connect to the old system, but as i made the change at 10am, it's the logs after that you need to look at', repeated three times.

Well I was looking for something to cheer me up and looks like this is it. Please proceed to continue to only converse with this person about past tense events for your own entertainment.

I feel your pain. Although one of the worst parts of a previous job of mine involved troubleshooting (or verifying and being able to stand over my findings) email delivery issues, when every hop along the way had different time zone settings. GMT! BST! UTC! GMT +1! So lots of “Look, the headers clearly show the email was sent in 59 minutes time and was rejected 58 minutes ago” type conversations.

I feel your pain. Although one of the worst parts of a previous job of mine involved troubleshooting (or verifying and being able to stand over my findings) email delivery issues, when every hop along the way had different time zone settings. GMT! BST! UTC! GMT +1! So lots of “Look, the headers clearly show the email was sent in 59 minutes time and was rejected 58 minutes ago” type conversations.
we had great fun years ago, when egypt decided, with i think three days notice, that they *weren't* going to bother with spring forward, throwing all sorts of systems into disarray. IIRC, microsoft had to rush out an emergency patch for it.

Getting up at half five is grand in the summer!

Oh man I was so happy on lockdown.. although the novelty was starting to wear off.

We have regular " coffee break" Teams meetings for casual chat that I make a point of ignoring.
My missus is having a "Cocktail break" on Zoom tomorrow afternoon involving real alcoholic beverages.

My missus is having a "Cocktail break" on Zoom tomorrow afternoon involving real alcoholic beverages.
We have those in our calendar for every Friday

They are fine. I don't really drink any more, just the odd beer. But it seems to be the highlight of a lot of people's weeks.
FOr a lot of people with kids, work is their social life.

1590592657429.png

Last pole was robbed two days before we were shutdown and i bought a new one which I brought in today.

Robbed before I even had a chance to use it lol. working amongst thieves is ridiculous . how the fuck are they even gonna get it out of the site without me seeing them I don't know but they will. Plus theres hardly anybody on the site so the list of suspects is short

There'll be neither walls nor ceilings rolled by me this week

I had zoom pints with the band last week for the first time, and it was fucking great. We almost never get to go for pints cos we all live in different parts of the country, and on the rare occasion we're gigging we all know loads of other people in the venue. I'd say we'll continue this post lockdown

We have a variant of this, only with flight delays, whether compensation is due or not depends on the length of the delay. Airlines sometimes give us, and passengers, zulu times... great fun explaining that to an irate person who has already put themselves in a strange position by claiming a 2 hour delay was a 3 hour delay in the hope of free money thinking that the airline made a mistake in their favour by getting the landing time wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
  • chris d
  • Deadmanposting
  • T
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back