Your work situation (7 Viewers)

We pulled a guy out of job this Monday, they had pretty good sounding protections in place but there was no need for him to visit the site on Monday.

A lot of our trade is pubs and restaurants. The down time would be a great time to go in and do service work that doesn't need to be done at 7 am or 11 pm for once but we've not sure if some of our clients will ever reopen and in any case many of them don't want to be committing the cost o the work right not.

It has never been so busy as it’s been the last two weeks.

We’d a group of new people that were 2/3 weeks in to a few months training and this kicked in. I’ve been trying to train them in and do my own stuff and maintain social distance but impossible to keep the right distance from them when I can see they’re struggling and need me to be beside them helping. Had to pack that in on Friday and working from home now.

So now, I’m taking calls from people all day that are either unbelievably angry or sobbing because their lives have fallen apart. It’s breaking my heart. I’m trying my absolute hardest to help but it’s fucking hard. I’ve gotten over 400 messages from the newbies today looking for help and just replied to the last one there.
I can’t do this for much longer but there’s absolutely no other choice.

On the plus side, I’ve discovered a very deep love for American football through Friday Night Lights (33 forever!) which is helping.

We pulled a guy out of job this Monday, they had pretty good sounding protections in place but there was no need for him to visit the site on Monday.

A lot of our trade is pubs and restaurants. The down time would be a great time to go in and do service work that doesn't need to be done at 7 am or 11 pm for once but we've not sure if some of our clients will ever reopen and in any case many of them don't want to be committing the cost o the work right not.

mot unlike us.
BUT SOME of the services We do are fire alarm system servicing which have to be carried out because of life-safety regulations whether buildings are occupied or not so we can try force that angle

Thanks egg, I appreciate that.
People are scared and worried about their staff as well as their companies. It’s rough at times but I get it. I just wish they realised that we’re all in this shit together.
I’ve two friends that are extremely close to breaking point from the stress, as in uncontrollable crying, rashes, vomiting and panic attacks. One of them is only 22, the sweetest girl you could meet, and I can’t even hug her when she’s sobbing at her desk.

Last edited:
I’ve two friends that are extremely close to breaking point from the stress, as in uncontrollable crying, rashes, vomiting and panic attacks. One of them is only 22, the sweetest girl you could meet, and I can’t even hug her when she’s sobbing at her desk.
What kind of absolute bollocks is this? Does she have dependents? If not tell her there are literally a billion people out there with actual problems.

What kind of absolute bollocks is this? Does she have dependents? If not tell her there are literally a billion people out there with actual problems.
This seems unnecessary. If she feels anxious enough that she is displaying symptoms like that, then she is going through the absolute horrors. Anxiety is an “actual problem” and literally means you over-respond to things that resilient people shrug off.

Shes a scared kid with a sick mam at home. Hearing people on the edge of a full breakdown is rough under any circumstances.
The place was pretty tense before this with some issues that ended up with the Guards, so it was never going to end well.

This seems unnecessary. If she feels anxious enough that she is displaying symptoms like that, then she is going through the absolute horrors. Anxiety is an “actual problem” and literally means you over-respond to things that resilient people shrug off.
You are right - I was just unfairly losing my rag.

Massive unemployment and another recession predicted. I was laid off in the downturn of 2008. At my age, if I get the heave this time it's unlikely I'll ever get another job, not in my current field anyway, and I can't do anything else. Work is reassuring us that everything is ok for now,but I'm not convinced.
Dude, you are a talented artist
There will always be someone in graphic design and all that world once things are back to normal - and they always get back to normal

Plus, you have a palace of collectible totems, toys and tchotchkes that you can flog on Ebay til you convince the wife to get another job

We were told wfh til at least April 13th

Schools are closed til May4th though, so I have no idea how they square that

My corner of hope is that the owner of my company is a goddamn maniac relentless hungry fucker (a compliment in this context) and he'll see this as an opportunity to take market share from others

But if it goes 2008 again, they just walk up to your desk, fire you, give you a cheque for what they owe you and walk you to the door with what you can carry

Users who are viewing this thread

• G
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back