Your work situation (4 Viewers)

My last day in the old place was during everyone's holidays. There was only me and another dude in the office. Rang a couple of people to say goodbye and left before lunch. Was amazing.

I left my old job at the end of June. I'd been with the same department for 14 years. Leaving the place after that long was incredibly nice but also a bit surreal. Have to say though, I haven't regretted going once

I haven't worked for anyone for ten years and for the most part that's a good thing but sometimes I come across people I used to work with online and they've won a Bafta or something and I kind of think 'fuuuccck, what have I been doing with myself for the last TEN years?' . And it just stings a bit, for a while, and then I get a hold of myself.

I haven't worked for anyone for ten years and for the most part that's a good thing but sometimes I come across people I used to work with online and they've won a Bafta or something and I kind of think 'fuuuccck, what have I been doing with myself for the last TEN years?' . And it just stings a bit, for a while, and then I get a hold of myself.
People from my class in college are hanging out with Hollywood A listers and winning oscars.
In my work we get a free fruit basket every week though.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last year I enjoyed the benefit of weekly fruit baskets, free decent coffee whenever I wanted it, lunch time nutritionist talks etc. This year I'm transferred to a new office where I have to pay for everything and I have to walk at least 7 or 8 times farther to get it. Meanwhile my colleagues in the other place are still living it up and I'm consumed by bitterness.

I never realised there were so many free baskets of fruit flying about.

Different world out there in the private sector. The trademark civil service office nutter would just bag the lot for themselves.

We had free coffee at 11 in my last place, it wasn't great coffee but it was a good excuse for everyone to go down and skive off for an hour. Nothing like that where I am now.

the temp in our team has added "Senior" to their job title. that position is still technically vacant and I have my eye on it. they were recruited to do the same level job I'm at for six months. Fuck sake.

My Ma is very style-conscious, and hates the way I dress so slovenly (if you don't know me - I'm a programmer, so t-shirt/jeans/hoodie is pretty much the uniform). She was full of warnings about working with Yanks when I started the new job (The Wikimedia Foundation - see above), even cut out a bit from the newspaper about how to dress at work. I even kinda heeded her advice and bought a new pair of black jeans (cos my old ones have a hole in the arse (which I normally camouflage by wearing black underpants))

My first day was a day of meetings in Montreal (making me feel like a total jetsetter, hooray!). Got up at 3am to get the flight, arrived in the meeting room around noon Montreal time, and the first guy I see is 50-ish, big beard, t-shirt, shorts, bare feet ... and knitting. Wool, knitting needles, just sitting there knitting away in a meeting of around 30 people (which included the CTO)

I had to ring me Ma as soon as I arrived home to tell her

My Ma is very style-conscious, and hates the way I dress so slovenly (if you don't know me - I'm a programmer, so t-shirt/jeans/hoodie is pretty much the uniform). She was full of warnings about working with Yanks when I started the new job (The Wikimedia Foundation - see above), even cut out a bit from the newspaper about how to dress at work. I even kinda heeded her advice and bought a new pair of black jeans (cos my old ones have a hole in the arse (which I normally camouflage by wearing black underpants))

My first day was a day of meetings in Montreal (making me feel like a total jetsetter, hooray!). Got up at 3am to get the flight, arrived in the meeting room around noon Montreal time, and the first guy I see is 50-ish, big beard, t-shirt, shorts, bare feet ... and knitting. Wool, knitting needles, just sitting there knitting away in a meeting of around 30 people (which included the CTO)

Never mind that - how did the song go down?

Kinda weird here. Company is looking at cutting jobs. I'm lucky in that new staff on contracts and older staff looking to leave are obvious targets. However still twenty odd years off pension/ retirement and don't know if I'll be here in ten/fifteen years.

Many years ago, a lad from college was starting in a place I was already working in and he rang me to ask what he should wear to work, bless him. While I was talking to him , the fella at the desk next to me was sitting in his jocks while his clothes were drying on the radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back