Your work situation (6 Viewers)

[EDIT] Oops, already posted on another thread!

Last edited:
Started my new job a couple of weeks ago. It was an interdepartmental transfer in the civil service, and they have chucked me in the IT 'department' (there are two of us) of the new place.

My old job was straight up clerical work, I got this through your bog standard promotion competition. There was no 'apply for this IT role' part in the process. They must have picked me out to work in here since I'm under 40 and have a very old (2:2) degree in computers.

100% different to the office work I was doing before. Fixing all IT related problems, backing up Servers. I didn't really know what a server was two weeks ago. Given myself a lot of crash courses through Youtube.

Maybe it is just the change of scenery, but I am loving it.

I was talking to a colleague earlier saying I don't want to still be here when I'm 50, and it occurred to me that that is only a few short years away.

I also just glanced at the clock thinking it might tell me exactly how long

Tomorrow's my last day where I am.

It's traditional if you've been working here for a good while (and I have, nearly 7 years) for your manager to gather everyone and say a few words about how great you are, and then for you to spend a few minutes saying "I'm proud of the work I did, learned a lot, met some great people, blah, blah"

I thought fuck it, there's 150-odd people in the office, not often I get a chance to perform to an audience that big - so instead of preparing a speech I made up a song. It's gonna be awesome \o/

It's traditional if you've been working here for a good while (and I have, nearly 7 years) for your manager to gather everyone and say a few words about how great you are, and then for you to spend a few minutes saying "I'm proud of the work I did, learned a lot, met some great people, blah, blah"

I thought fuck it, there's 150-odd people in the office, not often I get a chance to perform to an audience that big - so instead of preparing a speech I made up a song. It's gonna be awesome \o/

Careful now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I plan to take a sicky on my last day. I can't bear the thought of the awkward cake/speech gathering. I may have mentioned this before.

What's your rhyme with "fucking prick soon to be ex- colleagues?"

i left two jobs in the last two years. for the first one, the head of the organisation came down to say goodbye, then 2nd from the top guy gave a speech on the day i was leaving and there was tea and cake and a card and mortification and all the rest.

i stayed about 18 months in the next place, and the day i was leaving people were "what, you're going? since when?" and "before you go - we'll need your ID card back. Yes, now please."

i know which i preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

• egg_
  • ernesto
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back