Your work situation (3 Viewers)

I got made redundant last May. The old company got rid of my entire dept. It was pretty brutal. That being said, I was thinking of changing anyway, and I got an ok payout. I had atrophied and was looking into project management because I'm good with people, technically fairly knowledgeable and pretty organised. I'd no client facing experience though, even though I'd been moving somewhat in that direction in my old job. I did one interview for a job I really wanted, but my lack of experience meant that I didn't get it.

Then a company used to work for in a completely different capacity came looking for me as a PM. Did a few interviews and got the gig. So I had the whole summer off, and started here last September. There are good and bad aspects to my current situation.

Good:
- I'm working as a PM with very high profile clients getting great experience.
- I enjoy a lot about the role. Particularly, talking through problems and figuring out solutions with folks.
- 20 min cycle (IFSC), though the traffic can be real dicey with the road works

Bad:
- The base level of busyness and stress is high. I knew this....I worked here before (albeit in a different role) and the place hasn't changed much. I left for a reason. Why go back you ask? Wifebot was pregnant and working on contract. I needed to be earning asap.
- Office atmosphere is TERRIBLE. Everybody is too busy and stressed. Nobody really talks to each other.
- For the first time since I was temping about 16 years ago, I have a shit boss. She's condescending and lacking in empathy.
- The money is so-so. I know I'll have a battle on my hands to get more when the time comes.
- Crap benefits. They do that '20 days but keep 3 for xmas' bullshit thing with the annual leave. I went from having 22 days basic, to 17. I've 3 kids. Thats a big deal. They also consider working from home a perk, whereas its something I really require for any kind of work/life balance.

The first 6 months were really difficult and exhausting. It fucking aged me. No real on-the-job training. I was just flung in at the deep and and had to figure it out. It's been a lot better the last while, but my main focus is to not talk to boss from one end of the week to the other. My thinking is I'll start looking for another job in September once I've I've a years PM experience under my belt.

they are.

just emailed my letter of resignation over to my boss.
got offered a new job that pays way more and they appear to be actually fuckin sound, thank god.

FEELS PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY FUCKING GOOD

Congrats!

I love my new job, it is sometimes frustrating but can safely say it is my favourite job other than working in the bookshop back in the day. I bumped into Mumblin' Deaf Ro' just today and we're going to go for coffee soon. I really like the people I am working with and the vaguely creative/intellectual aspect that is required of me. I will probably hate it in a few months time (such is life) but any sense of impostor syndrome I had in roles gone by is gone.

I love my new job, it is sometimes frustrating but can safely say it is my favourite job other than working in the bookshop back in the day. I bumped into Mumblin' Deaf Ro' just today and we're going to go for coffee soon. I really like the people I am working with and the vaguely creative/intellectual aspect that is required of me. I will probably hate it in a few months time (such is life) but any sense of impostor syndrome I had in roles gone by is gone.

Jaysus, it's all good news around here!

WHAT'S GOING ON

don't be havin coffee with thumped quitters

or at least make him pay for it (the coffee, not quitting thumped)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back