Your work situation (4 Viewers)

I've been here for most of my working life. The thought of staying here until I retire fills me with horror.

At 46 is it too late to retrain in something?

Can someone post a reassuring image of a tranquil scene with some nice font spelling out an inspiring message?

never too late
o-life-sentence-facebook.jpg

I've been here for most of my working life. The thought of staying here until I retire fills me with horror.

At 46 is it too late to retrain in something?

Can someone post a reassuring image of a tranquil scene with some nice font spelling out an inspiring message?
I know a few people who have gone back, done a different degree and gotten a PhD. I don't think anyone has been able to capitalise on it though.

I know a few people who have gone back, done a different degree and gotten a PhD. I don't think anyone has been able to capitalise on it though.
My missus has suggested going back to college but, like you say, and as interesting and rewarding a college degree might be, I don't want to be a 50 year old graduate with no prospects.

My missus has suggested going back to college but, like you say, and as interesting and rewarding a college degree might be, I don't want to be a 50 year old graduate with no prospects.

well you can always be a 51/52 year old graduate with no prospects if you prefer.*

I went back to school at 32 as i'd only a leaving cert. I'm 3something or other and have a job i like.

2/3 of the diplomas i've done were part time while working which was intense but rewarding. (about 8 hours a week and a few late night gigs getting papers in)

*this was actually advice given to me by @ernesto as I hadn't watched 'frozen' because it didn't want to be a 35 year old man watching frozen. he suggested it would be worse to be a 36 year old man watching frozen.

well you can always be a 51/52 year old graduate with no prospects if you prefer.*

I went back to school at 32 as i'd only a leaving cert. I'm 3something or other and have a job i like.

2/3 of the diplomas i've done were part time while working which was intense but rewarding. (about 8 hours a week and a few late night gigs getting papers in)

*this was actually advice given to me by @ernesto as I hadn't watched 'frozen' because it didn't want to be a 35 year old man watching frozen. he suggested it would be worse to be a 36 year old man watching frozen.

It's all true.

Shit, I still haven't seen Frozen.

I'm looking for a new job - Getting treated like shit but in a soul-less impersonal corporate way.

I have realised that I've been at this self employed lark for almost 20 years. Absolutely nothing to show for it. I now feel envious of the dudes standing on the back of bin lorries.

I'm finishing up in my current position tomorrow as there is no funding to keep me on. We've grants under review but won't know until at least next month whether we're successful so I've taken another position in a different department. So I know what I'm doing until September. At least the work will be interesting in the new place but I'm getting a bit sick of short contracts and no plan beyond a year or two at most.

I'm nearly 13 years in my place but I've had 4 different career changes within the company, the most recent been about a month ago. The thoughts of going to college (never done a degree) terrifies me but if I ever lost my job and got a payout I probably would to do something completely different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back