Your work situation (4 Viewers)

This has been on my mind for a couple of days now.

We did a job and we were told "no branded clothing" because we were being filmed. Not for tv or anything, just for a "dynamic audio-visual experience for future multi platform marketing use", or some sort of thing like that, which means a child with a camera, doing his level best to make this stuff look interesting.

The bit that's on my mind, all the lads were given unbranded hi-viz vests at the start. When we were done with the building, they didn't know whether they should return the unbranded hi-viz, or keep them for the derig. I said give them back, no one is going to be filming you for the derig.

"PEOPLE WERE FILMING US?!"
"WHO WAS FILMING US?!"

That dude with the camera who has been following us around for the last two days? He was filming us. This is the quality of thought and situational awareness that I have to deal with. They are all young and handsome, I am old and grumpy. And I don't care any more. why am I still doing this shit. Oh yeah, bills.

Same job, I bumped into several people I've known for years and years, who are still in the game but have moved on to better things. All of them surprised that I'm still doing this stuff. I did this particular job because I'm good at this particular thing, I know this system, to be wanky about it. But that's not the way the job worked out. I just spent hours and calories smiling and nodding at nonsense.

All of these old school dudes made a point of saying "seanc, why are you still doing this shit?"

I'm halfway out, thanks to the soccerball stuff, but yeah, I am actually too good for this.

Thanks for reading.

I really don't have an answer. This job is part time now, I need to get out.

I'm halfway out, thanks to the soccerball stuff, but yeah, I am actually too good for this.

Thanks for reading.

Sean, stick with this.
People who say that to you, they're not necessarily being pricks, they just have seen other things and want something better for you, than this thing you're too good for.

This has been on my mind for a couple of days now.

We did a job and we were told "no branded clothing" because we were being filmed. Not for tv or anything, just for a "dynamic audio-visual experience for future multi platform marketing use", or some sort of thing like that, which means a child with a camera, doing his level best to make this stuff look interesting.

The bit that's on my mind, all the lads were given unbranded hi-viz vests at the start. When we were done with the building, they didn't know whether they should return the unbranded hi-viz, or keep them for the derig. I said give them back, no one is going to be filming you for the derig.

"PEOPLE WERE FILMING US?!"
"WHO WAS FILMING US?!"

That dude with the camera who has been following us around for the last two days? He was filming us. This is the quality of thought and situational awareness that I have to deal with. They are all young and handsome, I am old and grumpy. And I don't care any more. why am I still doing this shit. Oh yeah, bills.

Same job, I bumped into several people I've known for years and years, who are still in the game but have moved on to better things. All of them surprised that I'm still doing this stuff. I did this particular job because I'm good at this particular thing, I know this system, to be wanky about it. But that's not the way the job worked out. I just spent hours and calories smiling and nodding at nonsense.

All of these old school dudes made a point of saying "seanc, why are you still doing this shit?"

Thanks for reading.

Get you some management training and/or across to somewhere / something that will not wreck you

Layoffs coming in my job. Not that many, approx 5% of staff, but still it's a worry, esp with layoffs in tech being rampant atm, reducing my chances of getting other work

Seems like it's the first time there's been a problem for software engineers employment prospects since I graduated just as the dot com bubble burst.

I can't remember where the post is but it was just after the twitter layoffs. My argument was there is no downturn, there is a 'normalisation' going on. Basically, companies over-hired because of big expensive ambitious projects they had planned, then the funding for those dried up, cos their customers aren't spending as much money.

most companies who have undergone layoffs (such as my own - I was impacted) still have more people than they did this time last year .

I can't remember where the post is but it was just after the twitter layoffs. My argument was there is no downturn, there is a 'normalisation' going on. Basically, companies over-hired because of big expensive ambitious projects they had planned, then the funding for those dried up, cos their customers aren't spending as much money.

most companies who have undergone layoffs (such as my own - I was impacted) still have more people than they did this time last year .
Also 5% is 1 in 20 people and I’d say many medium to large companies could comfortably boot out that many staff and not even notice.

Also 5% is 1 in 20 people and I’d say many medium to large companies could comfortably boot out that many staff and not even notice.

Yes indeed. But at what point do you call something where things are turning down a downturn and stop saying this is perfectly normal. The accepted norm seems to be ever increasing salaries and staff numbers, that model is not being persued. Tech company that bean post just escaped from is shutting down its european operation this year.

Banter in work yesterday between a 53 year old who volunteers with his sons rugby team and a 62 year old who used to manage a girls football team.

62 year old: Were you caught interfering with those young lads again?

53 year old: Fuck off you. Shure You used to spy on those young wans when they were in the changing room, ya dirty peado.

62 year old: Yeah but they were girls. I might be a peado but at least I'm not a queer.

DOWNTURN
THINGS WILL BE GREAT IN A
DOWNTURN
EGG MIGHT GET LAID* IN A
DOWNTURN
ANN POST WILL ARGUE WITH YOU-OO
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

*off

Well I never snaky.

Here's how it goes.

I tell people what is happening, they don't like it, they disagree. If anything, it's everyone else doing the arguing.
It's ok though, I'm used to it.

Banter in work yesterday between a 53 year old who volunteers with his sons rugby team and a 62 year old who used to manage a girls football team.

62 year old: Were you caught interfering with those young lads again?

53 year old: Fuck off you. Shure You used to spy on those young wans when they were in the changing room, ya dirty peado.

62 year old: Yeah but they were girls. I might be a peado but at least I'm not a queer.
They're probably way more craic to work with than some 20 year olds

Ok good news. I have been doing a shitload of interviewing. Only 3 positions really interested me. I just got a job offer for one of them and am still in the running for 2 more. The job I've been offered is second in the list in terms of how much I wanted it. Now I get to use it as leverage to force the hand of the other jobs. Deadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back