Your work situation (2 Viewers)

I'm starting to realize I can think about 4 times a week. Best case scenario.

Like, I can show up for work five days a week, but I won't be thinking one of those days. Now that I know this, I can have a "fuck it" day once a week, and not get too stressed about it.

And I reckon I can think for maybe... 4 hours, tops. So I do proper work, absolutely unrealistic best case scenario, 16 hours a week. But that's probably not going to happen, it'll really be something in the low double digits.

And I reckon I can think for maybe... 4 hours, tops. So I do proper work, absolutely unrealistic best case scenario, 16 hours a week. But that's probably not going to happen, it'll really be something in the low double digits.
Back when I was freelancing in the late 00s I was heavily incentivised to work as many hours as possible, but I don't think I ever managed more then 6 hours proper work in a day.

The fuck is Scots?
"Scots (endonym: Scots) is a West Germanic language variety spoken in Scotland and parts of Ulster in the north of Ireland (where the local dialect is known as Ulster Scots).[4] It is sometimes called Lowland Scots or Broad Scots to distinguish it from Scottish Gaelic, the Goidelic Celtic language that was historically restricted to most of the Highlands, the Hebrides and Galloway after the 16th century.[5] Modern Scots is a sister language of Modern English, as the two diverged independently from the same source: Early Middle English (1150–1300[6])"

IMO it's at least 50:50 that the whole thing is just the Scots pretending their accent is a language in order to fuck with the English

"Scots (endonym: Scots) is a West Germanic language variety spoken in Scotland and parts of Ulster in the north of Ireland (where the local dialect is known as Ulster Scots).[4] It is sometimes called Lowland Scots or Broad Scots to distinguish it from Scottish Gaelic, the Goidelic Celtic language that was historically restricted to most of the Highlands, the Hebrides and Galloway after the 16th century.[5] Modern Scots is a sister language of Modern English, as the two diverged independently from the same source: Early Middle English (1150–1300[6])"

IMO it's at least 50:50 that the whole thing is just the Scots pretending their accent is a language in order to fuck with the English
Ah yeah. I was wondering. Yeah" Ulster Scots" is not a language, no more than Scottish twitter writing in Oor Willie accent style is a language.
In Ulster Scots a child with Downs Syndrome is "wee dafty bairn"

For fucks sake

Some of my best friends are Scotch.
In an old job, we tendered for some govt thing up in Norn Iron, so the information we got was in English, Irish and Ulster Scots.

Our Business Development manager, rugby D4 guy called Charles, had never seen Ulster Scots before, and he found it hilarious. His boss, a stern Scottish Presbyterian, was not at all happy at the jollyment Charles was getting out of reading Ulster Scots.

It got to the a point where the guy from Derry (i.e., not Londonderry) had to go "Charlie, this isn't cool, you need to stop. Yes, it is funny, but you NEED to stop that now", as Scottish boss slowly simmered with increasing rage. Charlie was just like "ah stop being such an uptight Scottish Presbyterian prick, You can't think this is a real, loike, focking language, this shit is fonny as fock". That did not help matters at all. It almost came to blows.

Last edited:
In an old job, we tendered for some govt thing up in Norn Iron, so the information we got was in English, Irish and Ulster Scots.

Our Business Development manager, rugby D4 guy called Charles, had never seen Ulster Scots before, and he found it hilarious. His boss, a stern Scottish Presbyterian, was not at all happy at the jollyment Charles was getting out of reading Ulster Scots.

It got to the a point where the guy from Derry (i.e., not Londonderry) had to go "Charlie, this isn't cool, you need to stop. Yes, it is funny, but you NEED to stop that now", as Scottish boss slowly simmered with increasing rage. Charlie was just like "ah stop being such an uptight Scottish Presbyterian prick, You can't think this is a real, loike, focking language, this shit is fonny as fock". That did not help matters at all. It almost came to blows.

Love when people really really misread the room like that.

My mate waltzed into a pub in the back of Kerry, I'd been trying to blend in a quietly as possible for the last half hour, he dramatically opens the door stopping all conversation, announces my name, beams at me, and collapses down next to me.

"Remote enough out here isn't it?"
"Ah yeah, I suppose. Are you having a pint?"
The place is still silent from the shock of someone walking in. I can see he's thinking about fuckery.
"Can you imagine how hard it must have been for our ancestors to extract rent off the locals in somewhere as desolate as this place?"

Depends on perspective. London English is a minority version of the English language, and for an American English speaker either are just weird stuff

i have recently realised that i sometimes subconsciously breathe out of the side of my mouth, due to having fallen into the habit during online meetings to avoid breathing into the mic on my headset.

I actually need the advice of the Thumped collective experience, or "hive mind", as they say it on FB and reddit.

So, massive labour shortage over here because Covid Brexit blah de blah. So I've never been busier. And I've never been pushed as hard because now I'm the senior dude and the others are very new.

I've been offered freelance work today, and the guy said "I want to set you up for a years worth of work because I want you to commit to it". But it'd be a day here, half a day there.
On Sunday at work someone else offered me a season of freelance work. "It's at least 19 days per season, probably more, depending, (It's soccerball related).

The thing I'm struggling with here is: I like the big jobs that take weeks to set up and are complex and I'm involved in. So if I take the better paid, but bitty work from these two people, I'll never get to do the kinds of jobs where....I dunno, I see a thing through from start to finish. Or indeed, if Netflix come a-calling looking for someone for nine months, or an awesome full time job pops up, I won't be able to do it.

If I do either or both of those things, my usual work will still find work for me, but it'll be shitty half days here and shitty half days there. And I hate those days. But I do have loyalty to my usual work.

Basically it's a question of opportunity cost. What do you think I should do?

I've never been busier. And I've never been pushed as hard because now I'm the senior dude and the others are very new.

I've been offered freelance work today, and the guy said "I want to set you up for a years worth of work because I want you to commit to it". But it'd be a day here, half a day there.
Hmmm

I know almost nothing about the line of work you're in dude, but if I was in your shoes I'd be thinking very hard about what I actually want and using my good bargaining position to make that happen. And keeping in mind that yr back isn't going to improve as you get older

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back