Your Parents Record Collection (1 Viewer)

Hmmm.

- Neil Young
- A Woman's Heart and all the individuals on the comp
- Paul Brady
- CCR
- A good few Demis Rousseau (sp?) records that never got played cus the record player was broken
- Garth Brooks
- Some Rolling Stones bits and pieces

Things we never had were The Beatles. Bar a few songs on radio, I didn't really know any Beatles until I was 17.

When my dad spoke of music, he always mentioned Deep Purple, Wishbone Ash and Barclay James Harvest. But they were never around the house. So he was in the hard rock camp when growing up.
I think mum was a regular Beatles and 60s stuff gal.

What about Rafferty & Connolly?

Dad has Vinyl from Neil young/ Stones/ Dylan/ Bowie/ Who/ some singer called Melanie/ Nana mouskouri (no idea why)

Mum has some Enya tapes

There's also a christmas album somewhere in the house, dunno who owns it...

Nana has a couple of funky tracks plus one or two nice folky bits e.g I Gave My Love A Cherry. The ratio of crud:cool is still huge but don't write her off totally.

My parents' record collection was beyond brutal. One Beach Boys album, lots of dodgy C&W and some stuff by a Portuguese Eurovision winner. Also a load of Ken Dodd albums, although my mother swears blind these belonged to my aunt. My mother also claims she was too young to be into the Beatles <sceptical>. My dad's taste in music is best summed up by his statement that "Abba were the best band ever" but he doesn't seem to have bought any of their records. These days my mum still listens to dodgy C&W (including Daniel O'Donnell), with a bit of Roy Orbison or Elvis thrown in. My dad mostly listens to the radio and as such has a bewilderingly in-depth knowledge of the lyrics of Westlife, The Killers and various X-Factor winners.

I bought a Daniel O'Donnell birthday card for my sister's 50th recently. They have them in the card shop on grafton st. It was over €9 which I didn't notice before taking it to the till. It seems kinda tongue-in-cheek but not so much that fans couldn't take it seriously. When you open the card daniel sings happy birthday to you

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

... all that was kicking about the gaf when I was young was Top Of The Tots Pop Party & Wally Whyton's 50 Children's all time Favourites, both buckled from being left against radiators.... Grim...
... having said that I did discover great things through the record collection of a friend's auld lad.... The History of The Byrds, The Freewheewlin' Bob Dylan, Relics by Pink Floyd and the soundtracks to 2001 A Space Odyssey and A Clockwork Orange...

I destroyed all my parents records, running then back and forth on the needle, and busting them on my knee. And I remember it. Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, CSNY, the Kinks, all that shit. Good times

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back