Your Health Is Your Wealth (8 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 1K
  • Views 59K
  • Watchers 9
I recently painted the house of a lady fully trained in acupuncture..and she had lost faith in it completely...faith being a major component of the practice I imagine compounded the issue.

My wife's an acupuncturist. It's definitely helped me for some things (dodgy knee, insomnia) and not for others (tinnitus, being a prick). It works slowly and gradually. Acupuncture roughly correlates to vaccination in that to most people it's just "magic that happens" and when it doesn't work, people -- possibly quite understandably -- regard it as proof that it's hooey. Also, it uses concepts and language that are different to western medicine, and that's a good thing. Sorry to hear about Niamh, Egg. Hope she sees improvement.

When I first went for it I was boxed in with pain and thinking I had about two weeks before I'd have to leave my job to just be in pain full time again. I actually could feel it working the first day, the whole dodgy bit of my face warmed up like someone had thier hand on it, and here I am, 6 years later, still working and now back swimming in the sea after not being able for it for 15 years. Bought a surfboard recently, go for long solo cycles and hikes. I just send my accupuncture person a pile of money every year to keep me on track across the winter.

I got acupuncture in my foot for a trapped nerve, and in my leg for damage related to a torn calf muscle, and it worked almost suspiciously well.

There was some general untightening of the whole lower leg within an hour, which allowed me to get on a more careful stretching regimen. I went to her weekly for about 4 sessions, she was doing a thing where she ran charge through the needles, and tapped them. The first session I felt very euphoric and emotional afterwards, this decreased over time, but I was able to get back on top of the nerve damage and tightness from that point on. That was something like ten years ago, I don't remember having any serious issues with foot subsequently. It's not perfect, if I walk for miles it'll be tingling slightly afterwards, if I walk on FUCKING FREEZING CONCRETE FLOORS IN THE DEPTHS OF WEST CORK WINTER FOR MONTHS it gets a bit annoyed, but basically it's been grand.

Anecdotal, but yeah, acupuncture did seemed to do something for me that time. Hard to know what to think about it really.

Admittedly when she pulled out the electrical device, plugged it into the wall, started messing with dials, and then clipped the terminals to the needles she'd just rammed into my foot, it was a bit of a swallow hard moment. She also had an automatic tapper machine that she set up to ping the needles so she could go off and get a cup of tea.

I got acupuncture in my foot for a trapped nerve, and in my leg for damage related to a torn calf muscle, and it worked almost suspiciously well.

There was some general untightening of the whole lower leg within an hour, which allowed me to get on a more careful stretching regimen. I went to her weekly for about 4 sessions, she was doing a thing where she ran charge through the needles, and tapped them. The first session I felt very euphoric and emotional afterwards, this decreased over time, but I was able to get back on top of the nerve damage and tightness from that point on. That was something like ten years ago, I don't remember having any serious issues with foot subsequently. It's not perfect, if I walk for miles it'll be tingling slightly afterwards, if I walk on FUCKING FREEZING CONCRETE FLOORS IN THE DEPTHS OF WEST CORK WINTER FOR MONTHS it gets a bit annoyed, but basically it's been grand.

Anecdotal, but yeah, acupuncture did seemed to do something for me that time. Hard to know what to think about it really.

Admittedly when she pulled out the electrical device, plugged it into the wall, started messing with dials, and then clipped the terminals to the needles she'd just rammed into my foot, it was a bit of a swallow hard moment. She also had an automatic tapper machine that she set up to ping the needles so she could go off and get a cup of tea.
I went to a guy in Drogheda who had a "clinic" like something from Joe 90; weird machines and devices that went beep. He attached things to me and made me hold electrodes so he could readings. It cost loads and had no effect whatsoever. I held on to that "report" for years, partly out of incredulity that I allowed myself to be subjected to such bunkum.

I went to an Osteopath years ago. It was on mates rates so I gave it a go. Mostly my shoulder and lower back. She gave loads of good advice. Then one day she said "do you mind if I try acupuncture on you?". She gave me a big H&S talk before she started but made it clear she had never done it before.

It was quite interesting.

But one day I woke up, rolled over, and it felt like someone had tried to rip my arm off. It took me an hour get out of bed. And I was howling in pain. When I eventually got downstairs my housemate said "I just thought you were having a particularly involved wank".

He never said that, but he should have.

Anyway, I'd love to try it again. The acupuncture, that is.

I went to a guy in Drogheda who had a "clinic" like something from Joe 90; weird machines and devices that went beep. He attached things to me and made me hold electrodes so he could readings. It cost loads and had no effect whatsoever. I held on to that "report" for years, partly out of incredulity that I allowed myself to be subjected to such bunkum.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

About 5 years ago I woke up one day with a trapped ulnar nerve in my arm - it transmits sensation to the little and ring fingers. I hoped it would 'untrap' but about 4 months later it was still the same. So a mate of mine does acupuncture and I arranged to go see him for a go at it.
After the session, my arm and shoulder area on that side were very stiff, but then over the course of the day I could feel the muscles there starting to loosen up. The next day there was a definite improvement and it felt like I'd got maybe half sensation back. I did another couple of those sessions, and they totally cleared it up, nerve untrapped and all good again.

Note - Ulnar nerve for a lot of people gets trapped when it passes through a hole in the elbow. Mine was actually trapped by a muscle knot in my upper back at the back of my shoulders, cause I got lots of knots up there.

How do you find a good acupuncturist? Is there a register or a qualification to look out for? I went to a physio who did acupuncture on me and another physio who did dry needling and neither had any great effect. Just two or three sessions with each, I think. They told me I didn't need to come back again - so it wasn't that I gave up too soon.

I 100% believe acupuncture is the thing to fix it because the sensation just makes me want to jam a needle into the muscle or nerve or energy pathway or whatever it is that's, I believe the term is, jiggered.

a colleague is in ICU, nothing to do with covid - an artery in his neck popped and he was within hours of suffering from brain damage.

but he was saying if you want an incentive to stay healthy, visit an ICU; 'i am watching people choking to death around me - fucking horrific watching people around me gasping for their last breath'.

How do you find a good acupuncturist? Is there a register or a qualification to look out for? I went to a physio who did acupuncture on me and another physio who did dry needling and neither had any great effect. Just two or three sessions with each, I think. They told me I didn't need to come back again - so it wasn't that I gave up too soon.

I 100% believe acupuncture is the thing to fix it because the sensation just makes me want to jam a needle into the muscle or nerve or energy pathway or whatever it is that's, I believe the term is, jiggered.

I could check what qualification mine has?

a colleague is in ICU, nothing to do with covid - an artery in his neck popped and he was within hours of suffering from brain damage.

but he was saying if you want an incentive to stay healthy, visit an ICU; 'i am watching people choking to death around me - fucking horrific watching people around me gasping for their last breath'.
@pete can we get a "yikes" emoji?

You don't think she had a point?

Her point was either

She is good at accupuncture, makes people feel better and is bored of doing that (which makes her a bit shit)

or

She is not good at accupuncture and doesn't do anything other than extract money from people (which makes her a bit shit)

Is there another route here?

Users who are viewing this thread

• chris d
  • shitepipe
Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back