You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

One thing that seems unique or at least very over represented in punk is a preoccupation with geography. Lots of gig listings where the country of origin is included in the billing, e.g. Shit Badger (FIN), Urinal Cake (JAP), or Tile Market (IRE). Is this some kind of exoticism or are there that many bands with the same name? Even looking at metal which is fairly similar in terms of having local scenes, repeated names, and international appeal it’s not something you see as often.
Thats just to let heads know that its a visiting band and they need to get out and show some support

One thing that seems unique or at least very over represented in punk is a preoccupation with geography. Lots of gig listings where the country of origin is included in the billing, e.g. Shit Badger (FIN), Urinal Cake (JAP), or Tile Market (IRE). Is this some kind of exoticism or are there that many bands with the same name? Even looking at metal which is fairly similar in terms of having local scenes, repeated names, and international appeal it’s not something you see as often.
it's may simply be to point the band ain't local in case folks haven't heard of them. don't see anything remarkable in it.
metal and punk are probably the two major genres of rock where being from a country outside the music industry is least disavantageous.
never saw a band from even Spain, Italy or Poland interviewed in the UK weekly music papers when I read them in them in 92/93.

what's a real punk?
EQlny9aXkAAM2iI.jpg

context
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I saw this before - it must have gotten the piss taken out of it here previously.

I don't know what qualifies as punk or punk music but it seems be a vast spectrum.
the same with metal and rap where people make sweeping assumptions about the genres.

I saw this before - it must have gotten the piss taken out of it here previously.

I don't know what qualifies as punk or punk music but it seems be a vast spectrum.
the same with metal and rap where people make sweeping assumptions about the genres.

I dunno.

I went on that best punk thread thing and it was a range of about two countries, 4 instruments and about 6 years. I like to joke about it because for what it set out to be, its one of the most restrictive and exclusive genres of music. It is funny like. It is a bit condescending too sometimes. The the punks all have their own little brand names and uniforms and social codes and really its all about sentimentality. bless.

I dunno.

I went on that best punk thread thing and it was a range of about two countries, 4 instruments and about 6 years. I like to joke about it because for what it set out to be, its one of the most restrictive and exclusive genres of music. It is funny like. It is a bit condescending too sometimes. The the punks all have their own little brand names and uniforms and social codes and really its all about sentimentality. bless.
not true if you look at the thread. I named off where several of the bands I posted are from.
you could make the same assumptions about any genre that is around for decades.

not true if you look at the thread. I named off where several of the bands I posted are from.
you could make the same assumptions about any genre that is around for decades.

Punk is the genre that prides itself on rebellion theoretically. Other genres dont really fly that flag in the way punk does. Really dude, it's funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back