You know you're getting old.... (4 Viewers)

might it not be not so much the invention of the technology, but also the democratisation of it?
for example, is it easy to marry (as an example) the ability to record yourself at home with reasonable fidelity, versus any innovations in music as a whole?

Actually I can't forgive myself for excluding the introduction of the first fuzz pedals in the early 60s having a massive influence on the sounds being made.

Tying innovation to equipment has some validity but looking at it a bit wider - It's really unlikely that if all instrument/sound devive development was shut down today that music would remain stagnant.

Whats more likely is that there is a pretty consistent level of innnovation, and some of it connects with people while a lot of it doesn't. Or some of it hangs out for years and doesn't meet the zeitgeist in it's first innovation.

But most certainly saying that music stopped at some arbitrary point that closely correlates with your age and social background is 100% you know you are old thread material.

Tying innovation to equipment has some validity but looking at it a bit wider - It's really unlikely that if all instrument/sound devive development was shut down today that music would remain stagnant.

Whats more likely is that there is a pretty consistent level of innnovation, and some of it connects with people while a lot of it doesn't. Or some of it hangs out for years and doesn't meet the zeitgeist in it's first innovation.

But most certainly saying that music stopped at some arbitrary point that closely correlates with your age and social background is 100% you know you are old thread material.

I think you've contradicted yourself at least once there.

well between him and the BBC radiophonic workshop, opened up worlds of possibilities

The vast majority of musicians couldn't access the technology til the 70s. You had to either employed by the BBC or a few select universities to get access.

let me try this again.

Are we talking about innovation or are we talking about innovation that became popular in a western lens.

because one of those isn't talking about innovation, it's talking about what became popular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back