You know you're getting old.... (2 Viewers)

I'm absolutely baffled at the amount of young people that are into Irish country music.
me too. but i know people of all generations who listen to it.
i know lads in their 40's whose fave bands are AC/DC, METALLICA, GUNS etc who
bought tickets for the cancelled Garth Brooks gigs at Croker.
bizarre.

I'm absolutely baffled at the amount of young people that are into Irish country music.

In 2016 I was coming home from the north, having been at my uncle's wake, and the night bus stopped in Monaghan Town at a Topaz/Circle K/Apple Green/whatevs that had a jacks and a late night deli and stuff. Apart from me and a few weary long distance coachers the place was thronged with teens and early 20s boys and girls, all in cowboy hats and boots. They looked like they were having the time of their lives but I was amazed that the culture of an Ireland maybe 10-20 years older than me had somehow reconstituted.

But I will defend Country and Irish insofar as it is an indigenous, independent industry with its own venues and sales outlets, seemingly impervious to the international mainstream of popular musical taste. And I am here for it in that regard.

Country and Irish, I forgot that was a genre. And everything Scientician said. There's a big market for that amongst the diaspora. There's a whole tv channel for that shit over here. I think the kids like the communal experience, and musically they like it in an ironic way, but they don't understand irony. By the time they are old and wise enough to understand the irony, they've actually just genuinely learned to like it.

Which also does go on to explain why someone might like Metallica or whatever and also Garth Brooks, or C&I. Sort of.

My theory is that it's similar to the whole Phoebe Bridgers generation of songwriters - i.e. every song is an attempt to write Torn by Natalie Imbruglia or a Savage Garden track- they have complete access to the most obscure music at all times and have Spotify giving them personalised everything so what they're craving is something communal. They didn't have to suffer from radio/mtv hits rammed down their throats so bland, easygoing music liked by a very broad section of people is a novel idea.

But I will defend Country and Irish insofar as it is an indigenous, independent industry with its own venues and sales outlets, seemingly impervious to the international mainstream of popular musical taste. And I am here for it in that regard.

i agree. it's something i often ask C & I fans about - how it's a very independently
organised and distributed self contained set up. that part is fascinating.
musically it's very difficult to see any attraction in it.

Garth Brooks is a big time corporate showbiz lackey.

C&I is a bit like the dancehall/reggae thing where the music is largely considered a sample/beat on which different mc's add thier own narrative. It really is a melody and lyric based art, to the point that for years they essentially were just using presets on keyboards. Early songs (greece, thousands of years ago) were just people reading poems in an animated way while someone fucked about on a lyre for ambience. It is very much in that seam. You want musicy music you either can deep dive on the vocal melody or whatever soloist has been drafted for the gig, some of which have it down to such an art you hardly can hear that they are there while they demonstrate rediculous chops. It tracks rural identidy very closely too - Sure those westlife boys can sing and dance but they do not hit the diff on a saturday night, nor do they drive JCBs. People need thier anthems like.

yes i am aware i wrote a C&I song

I've been keeping a eye on Lisa McHugh's....career. Will she be able to cross over from C&I to pop.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've watched Glor Tíre a few times and marveled at the standard of musicianship...while laughing at the ridiculousness of the whole thing obviously.

My brother in Donegal worked alongside a young fella who was a part time DJ in the country and Irish scene. He was in huge demand and a bit of a minor celebrity. To look at he was the furthest thing from "celebrity DJ" you could imagine.

The money the performers make, particularly the household names is unreal. More than once my old band considered jumping on that band wagon.

But then..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back