You know you're getting old.... (1 Viewer)

Where I was working today there's a Jurassic Park show. Nothing to do with what I was doing, the JP thing was nearby but off over there. There was loads of parents with kids knocking about. The kids were all super excited about the dinosaurs. It was sweet, couldn't not bring a smile to ones face.

Then I said lets fuck off and look at the dinosaurs. My colleagues laughed. I was serious though. They had to tell me that I'm not allowed to just leave work to look at dinosaurs.

We drank cans after work instead. That was a good, worthwhile and necessary bit of team building, but it wasn't dinosaurs.

Why am I not allowed dinosaurs. I mean, they're fuckin dinosaurs.

The fact that you think any particular genre of music stopped being good in the past is only a reflection on yourself. There is endless brilliance out there.
The problem is - I never said that.
I said there was big decline in the general standard of electronic music after it became a popular medium in the EARLY 1980's.
That means the percentage of people doing great work slowed down hugely as more people got synths.
OK?
Of course there is still lots of great electronic music and there always has been and will be.

I don't think the best stuff now is any better than from 40 plus years ago.

Now if you can misquote me, then I can crack a joke about there being plenty of bad music 25-30 years ago, because there was and many middle aged folks still listen too it.

As time passes the amount of INNOVATION in music slows down. This has been happening for decades.
Things changed rapidly in a few years in the 1960's. That much development takes much longer now.
This was my general (separate) comment about music in the 1990's.

It took a lot more innovation to become a free improviser than it did to develop post rock or metalcore.

Of course there are tens of thousands of great recordings made every year. But many may not be doing anything innovative in what they create and that is OK.

e.g. One the best popular bands of the 90's - NIRVANA - wrote very good songs but were not original stylistically. They were a song writing orientated band and that's fine.

If you want I can name off genres from the 90's that I don't like and why I don't like them.

Where I was working today there's a Jurassic Park show. Nothing to do with what I was doing, the JP thing was nearby but off over there. There was loads of parents with kids knocking about. The kids were all super excited about the dinosaurs. It was sweet, couldn't not bring a smile to ones face.

Then I said lets fuck off and look at the dinosaurs. My colleagues laughed. I was serious though. They had to tell me that I'm not allowed to just leave work to look at dinosaurs.

We drank cans after work instead. That was a good, worthwhile and necessary bit of team building, but it wasn't dinosaurs.

You should have gone to the dinosaurs after 2 or so cans. Some of the best times I’ve had were slightly drunk with Jill hives in museums.

Any chance your colleagues are evangelical Christians who think the earth is only 6000 years old and that god put the bones in the rocks for a laugh?

Midlife crisis is in full swing, and so many bad choices made already.
At least I’m too broke now to get a new red car.
Best midlife crisis move I made was paying for therapy ... still though I can't help but be a bit jealous of the similarly-aged fellas down my local who are dealing with it differently, and doing mushies and coke on a Wednesday night

Plans made for last ditch attempt at a family holiday.

I regret that we didn't have more family holidays when the lads were smaller. All that stopped when we got two dogs. Not a great trade really.

The problem is - I never said that.
I said there was big decline in the general standard of electronic music after it became a popular medium in the EARLY 1980's.
That means the percentage of people doing great work slowed down hugely as more people got synths.
OK?
Of course there is still lots of great electronic music and there always has been and will be.

I don't think the best stuff now is any better than from 40 plus years ago.

Now if you can misquote me, then I can crack a joke about there being plenty of bad music 25-30 years ago, because there was and many middle aged folks still listen too it.

As time passes the amount of INNOVATION in music slows down. This has been happening for decades.
Things changed rapidly in a few years in the 1960's. That much development takes much longer now.
This was my general (separate) comment about music in the 1990's.

It took a lot more innovation to become a free improviser than it did to develop post rock or metalcore.

Of course there are tens of thousands of great recordings made every year. But many may not be doing anything innovative in what they create and that is OK.

e.g. One the best popular bands of the 90's - NIRVANA - wrote very good songs but were not original stylistically. They were a song writing orientated band and that's fine.

If you want I can name off genres from the 90's that I don't like and why I don't like them.
Ok I see what you’re saying now, mea culpa- we had a different meaning of “innovation”. I’m still not entirely sold though on the theory that innovation happens when equipment/tech is new. Guitars were around for decades in contemporary music, even electric for a long time, and then a new movement erupted in the 60s that spawned new sound innovation. Social forces, not equipment.

Ok I see what you’re saying now, mea culpa- we had a different meaning of “innovation”. I’m still not entirely sold though on the theory that innovation happens when equipment/tech is new. Guitars were around for decades in contemporary music, even electric for a long time, and then a new movement erupted in the 60s that spawned new sound innovation. Social forces, not equipment.

I'd say the introduction of the Stratocaster in 54 and even more so bigger amps in the early 60s had a lot to do with those sound innovations. Not saying social forces weren't also involved though.

I'd say the introduction of the Stratocaster in 54 and even more so bigger amps in the early 60s had a lot to do with those sound innovations. Not saying social forces weren't also involved though.

I think its impossible to separate the developments in musical technology from sound innovations. Although the broader technological developments which musical tech is part of (from transistor radios through to smartphones) influenced social changes and movements as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back