You know you're getting old.... (7 Viewers)

IMO Drake is appalling, and his pernicious influence responsible for a large percentage of the shit music available right now

This might be worthy of another thread. I remember reading a whole bunch of articles about the artistic oneupmanship between Drake and Kendrick Lamar. Like Beatles v Stones or Blur v Oasis.

So I listened to a bit of Drake, and realised that I'd heard most of it in passing at work etc. Then I listened to a bit of Kendrick and realised that my workmates don't like black dudes fast talking over strange jazz unless there's a simple identifiable metre.

I........don't get it. I really really don't get it. What's the argument? Kendrick is weird and kinda hard work if you're not familiar with that music. He's really good at that thing he does, I don't fully understand what that thing is, but I like it. Drake is demonstrably shite. He's embarrassing.

Leave Drake alone

drake.jpg

I think Drake's shtick was that he was the first one to rap about the most mundane topics in life and the internet like overthinking what it means for someone to view your instagram stories but never like your posts and how very aware he is about his own awareness of how petty this is.

Everything exists on a hyper meta-level where even Drake doesn't know how ironic he is being - it's a bit like Kanye except Kanye KNOWS that he is Michaelangelo and while he might be joking slightly he doesn't care what you think, Drake cares a lot what you think, which is "relatable". ( :sick: )

It's worth going back to when tastemakers still liked Drake and seeing what they were saying about him then. The modern stuff is the same except he's just added in an extra level of "fame is so lonely" and the beats are being made specifically for Tik Tok.

I mean, i've also heard it argued that Kendrick is just making palatable rap music for the white connoisseur who likes it because enough deference is being paid to the acceptable faces of black music (usually in black and white and always in the past).

Last edited:
That's very helpful.

So with all these meta levels of post irony, you're basically saying Drake is the Thumped hive mind c. 2008.

I actually originally wrote Gorillas mot as scare now. Then I deleted it. But I'm glad that, for someone, somewhere, Gorillas mot as scare now.

Gorillas mot as scare now.

Googling funny names to see if they exist is a hobby of mine.

Dick Rake
Retired U.S. Army Aviator and Retired U.S. Marshal Service Pilot
Dallas/Fort Worth Area10 connections

Noticed this doozie A few weeks ago on Netflix
and obviously so did whoever posted This!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There was a middle eastern woman in a place I worked who's first name which was pronounced EET-sah, and she married a guy whose surname was "Dix".

And she took his name.

The sweetest, nicest, most genuine, older woman, not great English. Just... coming in, smiling, gently introducing herself to everyone: Hello, my name is Eetse Dix.

Used to work in a call centre, had a colleague who was speaking to a Mr Weedick. She tried to say 'Weddick' but he corrected her; "no, no, I'm Weedick". Had some good one myself. A Dr D'eath. Someone who lived in Dicks Grove.

I mean, i've also heard it argued that Kendrick is just making palatable rap music for the white connoisseur who likes it because enough deference is being paid to the acceptable faces of black music (usually in black and white and always in the past).
Uuurgh

I gritted my teeth and read that pitchfork article about Drake. Listened to Marvins Room and it was better than I expected but, y'know ... still pretty boring, and fuck that man's voice puts my teeth on edge

Used to work in a call centre, had a colleague who was speaking to a Mr Weedick. She tried to say 'Weddick' but he corrected her; "no, no, I'm Weedick". Had some good one myself. A Dr D'eath. Someone who lived in Dicks Grove.

When I worked on an e-mail call centre I had to answer an email from a King Kong, some asian lad. Legend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back