Wow, I have just discovered... (1 Viewer)

7 - No tomorrow

Feisty
Supporter
Contributor
Threads
On a platform shaped like a HIV positive foetus, a
Website
theppk.com
How odd

Subsequent to the release of the album, Carmen was contacted by the Rachmaninoff estate and an agreement was reached in which the estate would receive 12 percent of the royalties from "All By Myself" as well as "Never Gonna Fall in Love Again", which was based on the third movement from Rachmaninoff's Symphony No. 2.

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
Not really. Families hold onto rights forever. If they can make money off something, most will. It's why lots of things aren't online that are out of copyright year wise. If the family still holds it copyright of the original material, it will rarely see the light of day.
Is it not only for 75 years after the author's death? Rachmaninoff died in 1943 so there is still another 4 years before the copyright runs out.

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Contributor
Threads
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Is it not only for 75 years after the author's death? Rachmaninoff died in 1943 so there is still another 4 years before the copyright runs out.
Yes, in stuff that's already published unless the family still owns the copyright. In a few famous cases (especially in Ireland) the family still decide what can and cannot be used and if there are financial applications to it.

therealjohnny

Supporter
Threads
Rachmaninov's people missed an opportunity to insist Eric Carmen did something about that hideous hairdo

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Threads
Website
brainwashed.com
Joyce's estate have been extremely tight with the rights. However, I remember reading that now that the 75 years is up, they don't have much clout anymore.

prefuse

Threads
I bought 2 Frank Zappa LPs a while ago, Overnite sensation & Apostrophe. I've been aware of his stuff for over 20 years, but never bought any. I'm trying to suss out what to get next.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create a thumped.com account. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest posts

Trending Threads

Latest threads