Wow, I have just discovered... (1 Viewer)

My grandparents were giving my friend and I lift to the Olympia to see The Smashing Pumpkins and said: “The last time we were at the Olympia it was to see David Essex.” That night, SP played a cover of “Rock On”. True story.
Think I was at that show. Machina tour around 2000?
Off the back of that thread I posted about yer man from the podcast S Town and his music. I have started checking out Tor Lundvall. Any fans here?
Phenomenal stuff. Later releases, post 2009, seem mostly instrumental. Has been making music with vocals, and cool original artwork since the mid 90s. Lovely ambient/field recordings/soundscape stuff. Judging by the later stuff anyway. Check out the album The Park. The few tunes I've checked out with vocals sound great too. Certainly one for the autumnal thread later in the year

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
That was the one. I still have the t-shirt and the little photocopy flyer thing they handed out as you went in. And a bootleg of it somewhere.
yup to all three also. t shirt rotting in a black bag somewhere. my more portly physique couldn't handle it these days anyway I'm sure. remember expecting a huge setlist of album's worth of tunes based on other setlists knocking around and it being their last in Europe. ended up being pretty underwhelmed. few 'best of' tunes and a bunch of Machina

Somehow never really listened to Phil Ochs before but recently did. Some great songs and lyrics...

Although the Jello Biafra updated version is better in a way...

Needs a 2018 version now.

Can't beat a bit of old Scott. The newer stuff doesn't for much for me.

I'm listening to A Flock Of Seagulls's first album, it's deadly. I was under the impression they were not to be taken seriously.
Putting it on now. They're one of those bands, Men at Work is another, whose one big album still has a huge US fanbase.

Can't beat a bit of old Scott. The newer stuff doesn't for much for me.

The new stuff is amazing, try again.

I really enjoyed it. I also really like Machina and Machina II so take from that what you will.

Listened to Machina on the road yesteday, less worse than i thought. Some things sound magnificent, maybe too much of a stylistic leap and all that.

also I like the new one. i like that they are back to taking the piss out of themselves a bit. I watched some recent tour vids too and they are playing a pretty select melloncollie tour by the looks of it. I will listen to the new record once but i'm promising nothing. one of the work lads reckon billy went half deaf without noticing and all the interim stuff sounds like shit because of it, and rick rubin might fix that.

How did you get on with this?
Ah it was alright. I think the original Robert Christgau review from 1982 is fairly on point

This is very silly, and I know why earnest new-wavers resent it. But I think it's a hoot--so transparently, guilelessly expedient that it actually provides the hook-chocked fun most current pop bands only advertise. The human drummer and all-too-human guitarist provide reassuring links with a past these boys have no more intention of giving up than you, me, or Rod Stewart. And if the cheerfully mechanical voices and cheerfully mechanical melodies do once or twice venture toward cheerfully mechanical lyrics about the direly mechanical end of the world, well, that's just the shape of bubblegum to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back