Worst hipster bands ever (2 Viewers)

Has anyone ever heard of, or like Little Barrie?

I'm supposed to be going to see them. Thinking of bailing.

Random , different styles list?

Despite the laziness of the article I do find a loose connection / spirit between the 20 listed.

What is it? 'bands that have been cool in the last 10 years'? Is it bands that are supposed to be over-rated?

Beach House and Ariel Pink have fuck all in common. Totally different backgrounds, totally different trajectories, totally different audiences. Bon Iver - he is on a Kanye West album fer chrissakes. Wavves was the work of one angry teenager who made one brilliant record (which he couldn't recreate live) and couldn't repeat it. MGMT were one-hit wonders who started as a college party band. There is no connection, only perception, and one based on nothing at all that anyone seems able to define.

What is it? 'bands that have been cool in the last 10 years'? Is it bands that are supposed to be over-rated?

Beach House and Ariel Pink have fuck all in common. Totally different backgrounds, totally different trajectories, totally different audiences. Bon Iver - he is on a Kanye West album fer chrissakes. Wavves was the work of one angry teenager who made one brilliant record (which he couldn't recreate live) and couldn't repeat it. MGMT were one-hit wonders who started as a college party band. There is no connection, only perception, and one based on nothing at all that anyone seems able to define.

Nail on head - UNDEFINABLE.

Nail on head - UNDEFINABLE.

Aye.

The first Beach House album is an all-time classic. It's a thing of absolute beauty.
MGMT had a couple of great singles. Saw them live in Stockholm and they were rubbish. One-hit wonders. Back in the old days there wasn't the need to write anything further about a band like MGMT. They're our Martha and the Muffins or something but endlessly and needlessly analysed and blogged about.

Aye.

The first Beach House album is an all-time classic. It's a thing of absolute beauty.
MGMT had a couple of great singles. Saw them live in Stockholm and they were rubbish. One-hit wonders. Back in the old days there wasn't the need to write anything further about a band like MGMT. They're our Martha and the Muffins or something but endlessly and needlessly analysed and blogged about.

The other Beach House albums are pretty great too.
The Arcade Fire backlash is an odd one for me. Neon Bible was the pits, but The Suburbs is great - one of my favourite albums of last few years.

As for MGMT, this is one of my guilty pleasures. So I'm glad they exist.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There is no connection, only perception, and one based on nothing at all that anyone seems able to define.

It's a cynical hack article that did not merit the time it took to write it. However, there are defining characteristics to 'hipsters' that surely you recognise? I can tell you this much, it's just not punk.

hipster.jpg

The other Beach House albums are pretty great too.
]

They're good but they left themselves open to be liked by the average hipster on the street. Funny that two of my favourite other bands of the hipster generation Midlake and Fleet Foxes didn't make this list. They just write really good songs, I suppose. This is my third post in this thread and I'm already exhausted and pissed off with the word hipster. :( Ugh.

I've never wanted to bash my own head in more than at the two Midlake shows I saw.

Fucking torture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back