World's Most Expensive Record? (1 Viewer)

weird, the UK release of the single 'Son of Sam' sells pretty well - it's deleted now. I have a copy of that.
http://www.musicstack.com/item/85901837/elliott+smith/son+of+sam+single

I have a Canadian Universal promo CD of 'XO' but it's not listed anywhere.

I don't know why I keep looking, but it's interesting to see what things could be worth. Some of ye have some great stuff! :)

the Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide is good an' all but there is some seriously overvalued records in there. While some late 60s / early 70s LP rarities [Sandie Shaw - Reviewing The Situation + The Roundtable - Spinning Wheel] are much undervalued.

It also only concerns itself with UK pressings which is a bit restrictive.

if a nice old man offered to sell you a record worth a few grand for a fiver not knowing its worth, would you take it or tell him the truth?

moral_compass_lg_clr.gif

I sold a few highly collectible records for drink money in my youth..I still feel pain over it.

if a nice old man offered to sell you a record worth a few grand for a fiver not knowing its worth, would you take it or tell him the truth?

moral_compass_lg_clr.gif
Mmmmmm.
I used to work in a record store in the States and a big part of the business over there is getting calls from old people who want to sell crates of records in the attic. I saw the boss absolutely fleece old folks on a number of occasions, like a box of over 100 Blue Note originals from the 50's and 60's - all mint, for 10 dollars. I felt sick after it and got into a major row about it. 'That's business' was the answer.
And this was a record store that you'd read about as a bastion of independence, great customer service and all that bullshit.

cheers for the link!

Nah no bubble burst, I don't expect that any of my stuff is worth loads. It's probably worth more in sentimental value to fans, y'know?

Speaking of sentimental value, years ago I bought this t-shirt after seeing Elliott Smith at the Red Box;

shoes-logo.jpg

Anyway one night I was in the Drum bar in Galway wearing this and it was an absolute sweatbox so I took it off (I had another t-shirt on underneath) and left it up behind the DJ booth. But when I went up to collect it at the end of the night someone had pinched it :(

Should have figured that out.
Would you pay more for records? I would easily,if it was the right record,and there are many of the right record out there. I just wouldn't do it by post. Someday a record fair will turn up some killer records for me.

Should have figured that out.
Would you pay more for records? I would easily,if it was the right record,and there are many of the right record out there. I just wouldn't do it by post. Someday a record fair will turn up some killer records for me.

I'd pay more depending on the record. If I found a Zombies Odyssey and Oracle in VG+ condition or better I'd gladly handover STG 200 - 300. Plenty of folk LPs on my wantlists too that don't turn up.

Reissues really don't do it for me. To me a CD reissue isn't much worse than a vinyl repress. Originals are my preference but you have to be realistic.

Have quite a few 40 / 50 quid LPs that I've had to pay book price for. The charities and booters here do not throw up the bargains that the UK and Europeans get. Hence - if I want that rare lounge / easy / moog / psych record I gotta pay for it.

The fairs here could be better. I am thinking of going to Utrecht in November but need to save.

Definately slim pickings here.At the risk of sounding big headed I think I have a really good collection with that in mind. But,I also have a lot of shit.

I'd love to go to one of those big fairs,but if I was to go I'd want a few grand at least.

I'm also reasonably happy with reissues or even bootlegs if the original is too hard to find. I'll always "upgrade" though if the opportunity arises.

I do pretty good sniffing out bargains here though. I've plenty of records that are considered worth more than I paid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back