World Trade Centre Towers thing (1 Viewer)

All the news sites appear to be overrun.
The Esat international traffic has had a sudden 10mb jump.

sky.com/news works though.

Two planes have smashed into the World Trade Centre towers in New York and a third into the Pentagon in what is being described as the worst terrorist attack in history.

One of the 1,360-ft towers collapsed. More than 50,000 people work in the complex.

There are reports of a second explosion at the Pentagon and of a blast at Capitol Hill.

It is reported two United Airlines passenger planes were hijacked shortly before the first plane struck the Trade Centre in Manhattan.

One was thought to be a 737 capable of carrying more than 100 passengers. The other was confirmed as an American flight 11 from Boston to Los Angeles. A Boeing 767 can carry up to 269 people.

There are reports a third plane has slammed into the Pentagon just outside Washington DC. Much of the complex is in flames.

The first plane smashed into the top stories of the tower, leaving two gaping holes in the side.

Minutes later another aircraft approached, turned in the air and crashed into the lower storeys of the second tower - the footage was seen live on TV stations around the world.

The second explosion engulfed several floors.

A person who answered the phone on the trading floor at interdealer-broker Cantor Fitzgerald, located near the top of the World Trade Center, said: "We're f***ing dying," then hung up. There was screaming and yelling in the background. A follow up call was not answered.

"This has got to be one of the most horrendous terrorist attacks perhaps ever perpetrated," terrorism expert Chris Yates told Sky News.

At least 1,000 people have been reported injured. The 110-storey 1,360ft tower is in lower Manhattan.

In February 1993 six people died when a truck bomb was planted in the twin tower's underground car park in a terrorist attack.

More follows .

Last Modified: 15:17 UK, Tuesday September 11, 2001

One of the towers of the World Trade Centre collapsed after a plane crashed into it this afternoon.

Hundreds are feared dead after two hijacked planes crashed into the Worth Trade Centre shortly before 2 p.m. this afternoon. A third plane has also crashed into the Pentagon in Washington DC. Another explosion has been reported in the same area of Washington a short time ago.

A witness reported a "sonic boom" as a commercial passenger jet collided into the north tower of the 110-story building between the 80th and 85th floor.

Within minutes another commercial plane ploughed into the south tower, with television footage showing flames and smoke billowing across the New York skyline.

Mr Ira Furman, a former National Transportation Safety Board spokesman, indicated that the crashes were not accidental.

He told CNN there was no indication that normal air traffic would be in the area. Planes would "normally be clearing the World Trade Center by a few miles," he said.

US President Mr George Bush, on a visit to Florida, was informed of the tragedy by chief-of-staff Mr Andrew Card.

The large passenger commercial jet was teetering towards the tower before it "embedded in building," a New York resident told the network.

The World Trade Center consists of two 110-story skyscrapers and are New York's tallest towers. One of the towers is just six feet (two metres) taller than the other.

About 40,000 people work inside the two-building centre; more than 150,000 people enter the complex every day for business and pleasure.

On February 26th, 1993, a terrorist bomb exploded in building number one's lower level.

The White House has ordered an evacuation of the White House complex.

Fire trucks surrounded the White House, and Secret Service police ordered people out of the building as smoke billowed from outside the grounds on the south side of White House, near the Mall, eyewitnesses said.

The evacuation was ordered after an aircraft crashed next to the Pentagon, setting off a huge explosion, throwing people off their feet inside the building and setting off a massive fire.

One eyewitness said the plane appeared to be an airliner.

It appears it was a plane that hit the Pentagon, a US official said.

Officials said an airliner appeared to have crashed near the helicopter landing site outside the huge building, which is the headquarters of the US military and the office of Secretary of Defense Mr Donald Rumsfeld.

All plane departures have been halted in the United States under a "national groundstop" order, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) said.

"We have a national groundstop order, which means no aircraft are taking off right now," said FAA spokesman Ms Laura Brown. Aircraft already in the air may continue to their destinations, she said.

Fuck.
Second tower just went.

Stile. That lead me to jollydwarf.com and I never forgave.

A plane has crashed into the Pentagon and some of the building has collapsed - another hijacked plane is on its way to Washingtom and another large plane has crashed just outside Pittsburgh...

different quotes from http://www.urban75.com message board

"From Sky news
More than 50,000 workers would have been in the building at the height of the morning rush-hour.

A person who answered the phone on the trading floor at interdealer-broker Cantor Fitzgerald, located near the top of the World Trade Center, said: "We're f***ing dying," then hung up. There was screaming and yelling in the background. A follow up call was not answered. "

"My girlfriend works for a US bank, she deals with their head office staff, on wall street, She's spoken to some of them .Apparently it's total panic, people were told to evacute, but then the smoke began to fall and now the whole of Manhatten is covered and no one is allowed to leave ANY of the buildings cos the visibility is ZERO!!!!!!!

So they're all just fucken sat THERE!!!!!!

As you can perhaps imagine, people are panicing. But i shit you not, apparently there is smoke billowing across the water and all of downtown is covered.

There's fires burning and peeps are stuck in cars trying to get away but have nowhere to drive as they can't SEE!! "

"Some guy on TV was just giving a horrific account of helping some guy out of the World Trade elevator with 'his skin all off' and people jumping out of windows and getting seriously fucked up.
Still, at least the business desk can erport that the Euro has risen against the dollar in the aftermath. Fuckers"

"One woman who was in the trade centre has just said that people were jumping out of windows to their death, at this point it has brought it home, this has bought me to tears"

"I almost cannot think of something to say, watching as i write, unreal...it's like an action movie
And now a car-bomb outside the whitehouse...

Too many dead to think about....

Apparently some palestinians are celebrating in the streets - grr....

I mean, i think a lot of us would agree that attacks on these sort of organisations is not a totally bad thing, but i am not into the death of innocents. "

"Your U75 hack on the spot:
I'm in DC at the moment. The whole place is going nuts - an unimaginable number of people work for federal government and the military here.

Now they're saying a plane from DC to LA was hijacked and crashed into the Pentagon - there are also reports that keep getting announced and then cancelled as false that there are car bombs going off all over the centre of the city: FBI, State Department (Diplomatic). Other tower of WTC has collapsed: fuckin' ell.

Expect Middle East and George Bush to go absolutely apeshit, tough US responses and a huge cheque for the US military industrial complex.

Scariest of all: loads of people rubbernecking and traffic jams from everyone being sent home from work. Jeeeesus. "

"Yesterday an anti-talaban leader was feared dead, an american offical stated if he was dead, then it was a sad loss to the anti-talaban cause.
possible connection? "

"there are rumours, and I emphasis they are only rumours, that there are 7 planes in total which are involved. Don't quote me on this one please. "

Apparently they're evacuating canary wharf in London too.

The Taliban are allegedly holding a press conference at 4.30

From CNN.com:
• All international flights were diverted to Canada.
As international flights were diverted to Canada, the Federal Aviation Authority said it had yet to account for a number of planes.

• Israel has evacuated all its missions around the world.

• In Chicago, the Sears Tower was evacuated; United Nations in New York evacuated.

• The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta was evacuated. CDC was preparing bioterrorism teams in case they become necessary.

• The New York Port Authority said it had closed all bridges and tunnels into the city.

"Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, the Taliban ambassador to Pakistan, said in reaction to the news of the terror attacks that "we want to tell the American children that Afghanistan feels your pain and we hope that the courts find justice."

The Taliban are claiming Bin Laden had nothing to do with the attacks.

Who else could it have been? Any one of a number of well-funded, well-organised organisations headed up by fundamentalist ideologues.

We're back in the 70s, only now that the Western media machinery is so much more responsive and efficient, the power of terrorism has increased exponentially.

Just think: right now we in Dublin have probably 10 times more information on this than the people who live in New York.

So how much power terrorism has over us is directly proportional to how well-informed we are.

A disturbing thought...

pete (11 Sep, 2001 05:27 p.m.):
"Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, the Taliban ambassador to Pakistan, said in reaction to the news of the terror attacks that "we want to tell the American children that Afghanistan feels your pain and we hope that the courts find justice."

"United Airlines flight 93 en route from Newark to San Francisco has crashed near Pittsburg. It is not known how many people were on board. Reports that this plane may have been shot down are unconfirmed."

The world media is jumping the gun a bit with the assumption of it being from the middle east, even though it may be the most likely. Nothing to suggest it's not the Americans themselves.

that place I was in yesterday is gone

So yesterday, I special ordered a book from a bookstore in the World Trade Center. I was supposed to get up this morning and go in early to meet up wit ha bunch of people, and since the PATH (the subway) from Jersey City (just over the river from downtown Manhattan) goes to the world trade centre, thank god I fucking overslept. We stood on the roof of my friend's building and watched the first tower go, hoping that wnyone we knew was in the second tower. and then that one went, too. We're okay here, but if the wind changes direction, we're screwed with smoke inhalation. People are freaking out. We don't really know what to say or do because we're just trapped. We were getting messages from hysterical friends (whom we had been trying, hysterically, to locate) that they could see people jumping out of windows in futile attempts to get away from the flames. I heard the fourth explosion, and then it was announced on TV a few seconds later, and that sort of made it hit home at least a little bit, that this is just on the other side of the river, five minutes away, that it's not just happening on TV.

they are ferrying people across to Jersey City, so people are wandering around, covered head to toe in soot and ash, with this look of utter, expressionless shock on their faces. My friend went down to the water (I couldn't bring myself to go and look at something like this) and said she saw a guy in a suit, covered in dust, holding a small child, both of them in such shock that they couldn't even cry, and all he was doing was stroking her hair and saying 'Nothing bad will ever happen to you when daddy's here.' Most people are concerned for everyone, wondering what they can do to help, but one guy got really pissed off and yelled at me because I told him there was no way to get a train to Hoboken.

The fucked up thing is that I had this really bad feeling about coming over here, and I almost cancelled my trip because I just felt weird about it. I chalked it up to my fear of flying and my annoyance at disruption to a schedule that I'd just kind of gotten to work for me.

With CMJ due to start tomorrow (it's cancelled), no word yet on who that we know was on those planes, on their way to the city for it. All of the planes tht were hijacked were headed to California, and we have friends here from LA who were supposed to fly back today. Thank god they're too lazy for morning flights!

Of course, it took four planes and a tower before they shut down the airports because they didn't want to take it too seriously. Burn victims are being shuttled to as far away as Canada, triage tents are set up in schools, and over here in Jersey, all you can hear are sirens everywhere. I've never seen anything so surreal and hard to accept. Even watching it happen from as close as we are, it's hard to really fathom the human element: we know that there were over 50,000 people in those buildings, and we know that the building fell, but who can really understand the magnitude of a human tragedy like that?

We're still missing a few friends, but most people are accounted for. It's a lot better now that the phones are working again -- the inability to contact anyone was really frightening. Cross your fingers for us over here, this is really much scarier than I ever imagined anything could be.

What we're trying to do now is get our heads around the scale of this thing. I can't imagine.

So there's your update from me. If I could change my flight and get my ass back to Ireland right now, I would. If I weren't now a million times more afraid of flying than I ever was.

If you want a news update, try getting any of the New York network affiliates online: NBC, CBS, ABC, or the cable news channel, New York 1. I think they do streaming video.

This is not a special effect

More updates from ground zero (and not the nightclub kind):

We are still receiving the walking wounded in Jersey City, but Liberty State Park has been turned into a makeshift morgue. I have found most of the people I was most worried about, but there are still others still uncontactable, and friends of mine have not been so lucky. We've spent so long on the phone and on email that it's too much to worry about any more people than we already are.

Pentagon tolls have been confirmed at more than 800.

Current tolls in New York are something like 3000, but I'm not sure where that came from. Guiliani just announced that several hundred firefighters and policemen are lost, and that civilian totals are well into the thousands. People are stuck in subway tunnels, too, and it will be a while before we know how many. Survivors have been found among the rubble, but so many thousands of people are missing that it's little consolation. A friend of mine went to give blood, but the hospital was so busy that they told him to come back. He'd been shooting an ad down on 26th and 6th when he saw the second plane go into the tower, and the people he was working for said they wanted to keep shooting their fucking Mercedes ad. He told them to go screw themselves and their stupid cars, and walked 100 blocks home to Harlem.

Another friend of ours was on the PATH train when it happened, a stop away from the World Trade Center. The train stopped for a while,, and then an announcement was made that it was being re-routed. By the time she emerged from the station, there was no more World Trade Center.

But the most surreal thing I've seen was something we forgot about after the second tower went. We were standing on top of the roof, watching the remaining tower burn when we looked just past it and saw that an American flag on top of another building had caught fire, presumably from flying burning debris. Very eerie. Very scary.

Shit, they just announced that a suspicious car was just found not far from here Jersey.

And of course, all of the American networks had snazzy logos and snappy theme songs before noon, which doesn't help people to really understand that this is not a movie. We're so used to seeing it on TV that I can't say it was any easier to accept standing here watching it than it would have been had I only seen it on the news. Such is the power of special effects. I was watching the city burn from the waterfront, and it was just so ominous. All you can see are ambulances up and down the streets, smoke, flames, and helicopters and plnes circling overhead. The streets in Jersey City are clogged up with ambulances from 4 or 5 states, with 30 or 40 of them gathering to meet each ferry that comes across the water. People are walking around the streets, covered in soot, crying their brains out. Other people are walking around with their kids, trying to pretend like everything is okay. I saw the fucking city collapse, I see the smoke, I can smell it, but still, why isn't it sinking in?

We're all pretty much trapped here, which is scary. I just hope it's over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back