working for yourself (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pad
  • Start date
  • Replies 52
  • Views 4K
  • Watchers 5
When you work for yourself you might think you're your own boss. But you can have as many bosses as customers.
I would like company at work sometimes, I think I might like to be part of a small team sometimes. I think I'm missing out on some experiences that working for a bigger company can bring, projects and budget wise...... But then I realise I have NO commute, very few overheads, see my kids growing up and can have can have my guitar plugged into garageband and be working on music throughout the day while I work (sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

I work for myself.It's great when you're working and the moneys coming in.
Its shite when you're in between jobs and you're bird is giving you brain damage.

My work is mainly centered around the repeated operation of a shovel,which can be the best thing ever or a complete drag.

How does one become a postman?
I'm thinking this has got to be the best gig ever.
You get a uniform so no thought to what you need to wear.
You have a bike with a basket or you walk all day.
Listen to music all day and drop stuff in letter boxes.
Plus you get to sort things. I like sorting things.
I want this job.

How does one become a postman?
I'm thinking this has got to be the best gig ever.
You get a uniform so no thought to what you need to wear.
You have a bike with a basket or you walk all day.
Listen to music all day and drop stuff in letter boxes.
Plus you get to sort things. I like sorting things.
I want this job.

The movies have a major influence on you.

There no real chance of me working for myself at my current job(freelance cell biology anyone), however, myjob does have many of the benifits of working for your self; my working day is based genereally speaking on what I have to do rather than having to be in one place from 9-5, so taking time off is no problem, and can plan my work arround other stuff if needs be. Flipside, is the buck stops with me entirely in terms of the project Im working on, cue sleepless nights and existensial angst. also, im only partially in control of my own destiny, and have to get approval for anything major from my boss, who often goes over my head with stuff-which is both annoying and worrying. progression/career prospects are pretty limited as well.

all told, im in a reasonably well paid job thats fairly secure for the next year or so at least, so Im not complaining.

i work for a boss, then in the evenings work for myself, or for my dads company, which is almost working for myself. i prefer the working for myself part, but only because its something i would do anyways.

I've been working for myself for about 8 months. After a slow start things have improved nicely though still just scraping by.

It's good though as i'm more motivated to work and don't really mind doing it. do about 10 hours a day though i'm constantly checking in on things.

When i actually had a full time job id say i did about two hours a day max.

When you work for yourself you might think you're your own boss. But you can have as many bosses as customers.
I would like company at work sometimes, I think I might like to be part of a small team sometimes. I think I'm missing out on some experiences that working for a bigger company can bring, projects and budget wise...... But then I realise I have NO commute, very few overheads, see my kids growing up and can have can have my guitar plugged into garageband and be working on music throughout the day while I work (sssssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

some good stuff (and not so good stuff) about freelancing and the like from jeffrey zeldman and a couple of others here. or here's the mp3. worth a listen.

me, i work for money and i rock for sanity.

I've worked full and part-time in my family business since I was in my early teens and spent much of my childhood in it too. I really enjoy working with and for my family and would love to continue it if it were possible. It was fanfuckintastic when I was 16 and people would ask to speak to the boss and for all intents and purposes I was it. Having friends working as well has always been great fun.

Realistically, as far as starting or maintaining a business, unless very lucky you'll never make a killing. My folks reckoned a job where you can go home at 5 and forget the damn thing is better than running a business but then the grass is always greener.

If i could come up with something viable I would love to start my own business. I like the idea that come hell or high water you're captaining your own ship (or some other nautical analogy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back