Words and phrases that are soooo...meh! Like meh (2 Viewers)

There’s a woman who does the voiceovers on Lidl and Dunnes radio ads and I hate every word that comes out of her mouth.

Three times in the last week I’ve heard different people use the phrase “every day of the week” to signify support of/agreement with something. Where has this come from? Can you please stop?

Although if it signifies a reduction in the use of “100 percent” it might not be too bad.

That's nay, entirely different.

I read some article all about one of my pet peeves, which is people saying "could of" instead of "could have".
Can't remember anything about the article, because it didn't matter because "could of" is wrong.

I don't think I've heard anyone say could of. Only ever see it written.

Always hear could've

Maybe it's an English thing, but I definitely of heard it. I don't blame the people who do it, I doubt any of them do it as some kind of affectation or willful ignorance. Merely makes me lament at the dumbing down of society and so on.

Written down it's irks me a little, but that just makes look snooty toward people who have trouble with writing for whatever reason.

"it's nobody's fault"
That depends on the context really.

If I was at work and some new guy drops and breaks something, then it's nobody's fault is useful because otherwise he'd be jittery and nervous and might end up breaking more stuff. Reassuring him is better for getting the job done.

Plus, maybe it was his fault, but it doesn't matter, or maybe it was my fault for misjudging his abilities. Or maybe it was the designers fault for designing a crap thing. Or maybe it was the builders fault for building a thing in a crappy way. Or maybe it was the guys on the truck who loaded it badly. Or maybe or maybe or maybe.

It's simply not worth dissecting the incident at that moment.

Kind of the opposite, I would like to see "diddies" make a comeback.
Unfortunately a great word has been ruined by association with a certain goofy chancer called P Diddy.

That depends on the context really.

If I was at work and some new guy drops and breaks something, then it's nobody's fault is useful because otherwise he'd be jittery and nervous and might end up breaking more stuff. Reassuring him is better for getting the job done.

Plus, maybe it was his fault, but it doesn't matter, or maybe it was my fault for misjudging his abilities. Or maybe it was the designers fault for designing a crap thing. Or maybe it was the builders fault for building a thing in a crappy way. Or maybe it was the guys on the truck who loaded it badly. Or maybe or maybe or maybe.

It's simply not worth dissecting the incident at that moment.
Sounds like a systemic problem to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back