Words and phrases that are soooo...meh! Like meh (1 Viewer)

Art spaces named after whatever factory used to be there---jam factory, box factory, button factory, brickworks, steelworks, gasworks.....

Very much. I see it a lot in my own area. There's tons of art spaces, they've been art spaces for decades actually. But they used to be cheap and for locals who appreciate the locality. They were fine, people were productive and actually making a living doing their art. One by one I've seen them turn into funky creative spaces for wine swilling people who wouldn't comprehend the notion of spending money in the community, unless it was to buy investment property.

And all the spaces changed their name from whatever collective they had been to whatever that building was originally, "because that's, like uh, sooooo authentic y'know?".

Then came the coffee shops and artisan bakeries etc. etc.

I ahve difficulty contradicting the hypothesis that art spaces named after gasworks are a bit wanky.

HOWEVER I really do wonder about the lack of memory in towns, i know its kinda unimportant but like outside those kinda gentrified titles whole areas get raised and renamed without the slightest nod to the past which is also a bit shite.

I ahve difficulty contradicting the hypothesis that art spaces named after gasworks are a bit wanky.

HOWEVER I really do wonder about the lack of memory in towns, i know its kinda unimportant but like outside those kinda gentrified titles whole areas get raised and renamed without the slightest nod to the past which is also a bit shite.
I have a vague fascination with the idea of recording all the shops and pubs that were in, e.g. the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre

Like, the Wetherspoons there used to be various nightclubs that were grim beyond belief, I think it was last called Light, and before that Heaven, and before that West.

Or just remembering which shops used to be music stores that are now a Mr Price or this week's fast fashion brand.

I have a vague fascination with the idea of recording all the shops and pubs that were in, e.g. the Blanchardstown Shopping Centre

Like, the Wetherspoons there used to be various nightclubs that were grim beyond belief, I think it was last called Light, and before that Heaven, and before that West.

Or just remembering which shops used to be music stores that are now a Mr Price or this week's fast fashion brand.

"Sostrene and Greene at Waltons."

One of the groups i follow on fb is a heritage one for a town. The guys, barely a generation older than us are trying to piece together where a building in a photo is that they all saw with thier own eyes when it existed. I mean like in one sense it really doesn't matter at all where something was when the place was different but in the same sentence, loads of money has gone into 3d mapping medieval galway for virtual tours which would suggest that VR history will be a 'thing' as time rolls on. Like I probably would like to see what town looked like to my grandparents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back