Woody Allen's career nosedive (1 Viewer)

Oh for heavens sake stop bragging Mitchum.

Personally i find it hard to give out about Woody Allen as a filmaker based on his last few years. He's made so many good movies since the 60's that i like to think of everything after say deconstructing harry as a bonus for better or worse. But i'm speaking as a big fan of course.

Sorry, I just couldn't curb my enthusiasm.

Agreed re: Woody.
He should be celebrated for the way he works-banging out original scripts and films every year with minimal fuss and a relatively small budget.

A mate of mine got a part in the new Woody Allen movie.

I opened my post yesterday and there was a signed photo of Larry David. LD. Larry Long Balls.

Check it!

Gonna frame it & hang it in the bog.
i wonder what the plot of his new movie is going to be? a dumb but sexy victorian era prostitute (natalie portman) falls in love with a charming cockernee chimney sweep (cillian murphy) who may or may not be jack the ripper. it's a drama.

Personally i find it hard to give out about Woody Allen as a filmaker based on his last few years. He's made so many good movies since the 60's that i like to think of everything after say deconstructing harry as a bonus for better or worse. But i'm speaking as a big fan of course.

I'm a huge fan, I've seen every single one of his films and I even like the somewhat 'dodgier' later ones (Jade Scorpion and Hollywood Ending etc).
But these last 2 don't even hold together as movies, they just dwindle on from one scene to the next, getting slowly more unbearable.

The Ian, don't even bother commenting if you haven't even bothered watching them!!

i wonder what the plot of his new movie is going to be? a dumb but sexy victorian era prostitute (natalie portman) falls in love with a charming cockernee chimney sweep (cillian murphy) who may or may not be jack the ripper. it's a drama.

...another variation of 'The Talented Mr. Ripley', probably.

I'm a huge fan, I've seen every single one of his films and I even like the somewhat 'dodgier' later ones (Jade Scorpion and Hollywood Ending etc).
But these last 2 don't even hold together as movies, they just dwindle on from one scene to the next, getting slowly more unbearable.

I agree with you to an extent but its a little like calling Tiger Woods a shit golfer after hes had a couple of bad games. Well...ten bad games maybe.

I think Woody Allen in particular deserves a little more slack than most directors given that -

a) puts out a movie every 12 months (some of them are bound to miss the mark) b) in his 70's and made countless classics c) porking his step daughter.

"The heart wants what the heart wants"

Fair enough Woody. Fair enough.

eh... no he didn't

you sure. Mia Farrow's adopted daughter. He was married to Farrow at the time. Does that not make her his step child?

I'm with Lefty on this anyway. His career has not been the same since the turn of the century but he consistently produced brilliant films for the 30 years previous.

Woody Allen's career nosedive......is over. If you believe the Guardian who give his new movie Blue Jasmine, with an admittedly stellar cast, five stars:
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/sep/19/blue-jasmine-review

This thread started in 2008 when his career was in nosedive but I liked Vicky Christina and Midnight in Paris so I don't think it's all that surprising if his new one is good. He seems to make a good film every 2nd or 3rd attempt now. Not as good as in the 80's but better than his Match Point, Scoop, Cassandras Dream period. Yikes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back