Woody Allen's career nosedive (1 Viewer)

David Kronenbourg

Solutions
Jaysus, his last few films have been awful. I've not seen Cassandra's Dream yet but it's getting some truly terrible reviews.
Match Point was particularly excrutiating. Rhys-Myers has one of the most violently hateable faces in film. You just want to do an Irreversible job with the fire extinguisher on him. Johannson is basically just an amazing pair of lips and a delectable posterior. Terrible actress.
Just watched Sweet & Lowdown and it definitely ranks amongst Allen and the Pennster's best work. He's become a bit of a total cunt in his dotage as well.

151442__fasttimes_l.jpg

It's been really sad to witness really. Last good movie was Sweet and Lowdown. Last passable one was Melinda & Melinda, which was watchable, but far from great. I think he needs to hook up with Marshall Brinkmann again to get some new input.
Even the new collection of short stories was a long way off the quality of the earlier ones.

At 72, he's way past his prime and he had a good run. Despite the substandard stuff he's churning out these days, he spent two decades producing consistently great cinema, and another decade of occasionally great cinema. I finally gave up on seeing another even alright Allen movie after Match Point.

Stick to the jazz Woody.

Match Point was so badly acted, written and directed i actually had a hard time getting my head around the fact that Woody Allen had made the fucking thing. Bilbo, it still hurts...

he's waaaay worse at jazz, in fairness

I think he's a couple of films away from another great run, myself. I thought Match Point was passable, Melinda & Melinda too. Hollywood Ending was actually really good. (Anything Else -- let's not mention that.) I agree that Sweet and Lowdown was his last great film, but Small Time Crooks was also fantastic in places.

People give out about wooden performances and jarring dialogue, but that has always been a feature of his filmmaking (see Barbara Hershey in Hannah and Her Sisters). And in fairness, the early films like Take the Money and Run and Love and Death were also really, really flawed in places - imagine if he had made Match Point back then, as an unknown.

Still though - eating the snow in Love and Death, haha

casting ewan mcgregor in your film is a terrible idea. he oozes smugocity. literally oozes the stuff. I HATE HIM

I don't rate McGregor at all. Although he was decent in Young Adam, which was a good murky film. But then that guy(McKenzie) went on to make Hallam Foe, - woeful.

As for Allen, best films are definitely mid late 80s period - Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah & her Sisters, Crimes & Misdemeanours.

Most die laughing moments - Take the Money & Run.

Worst film - Manhattan. Dire.

Oh give it a rest, Woody on a bad day is still far superior than most of the shite spewed out by "tinseltown" these days

I've yet to see those films so I cant comment, but I still stand behind what I said.

A mate of mine got a part in the new Woody Allen movie.

I opened my post yesterday and there was a signed photo of Larry David. LD. Larry Long Balls.

Check it!

Gonna frame it & hang it in the bog.

Oh for heavens sake stop bragging Mitchum.

Personally i find it hard to give out about Woody Allen as a filmaker based on his last few years. He's made so many good movies since the 60's that i like to think of everything after say deconstructing harry as a bonus for better or worse. But i'm speaking as a big fan of course.

I don't rate McGregor at all. Although he was decent in Young Adam, which was a good murky film. But then that guy(McKenzie) went on to make Hallam Foe, - woeful.

As for Allen, best films are definitely mid late 80s period - Purple Rose of Cairo, Hannah & her Sisters, Crimes & Misdemeanours.

Most die laughing moments - Take the Money & Run.

Worst film - Manhattan. Dire.

:eek: we're no longer friends, as of right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back