Wire - 154 (1979) (2 Viewers)

Album Club crossover:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

probably came up already...
BIG BLACK - Heartbeat

I know it’s heresy in some circles but man Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac are hideously overrated.

I know it’s heresy in some circles but man Big Black/Rapeman/Shellac are hideously overrated.
I think Big Black were great and stopped when they began running out of good ideas.
I haven't listened to them much since I was 17 but still they were my favourite band for a while.
I don't like Rapeman who were disappointing considering the people involved.
Shellac were never of interest to me.
The difference between Big Black and Shellac sums up how disappointing 90's rock was to me.

Rapeman are a tight unit... all about the drum sound. Listened to that album lately... it's total amp up material. Felt like I was getting so amped up I was going to punch the windows out in my room. Just pogoing, with the record up to deafening levels, my feet just pounding into the floorboards with the odd deranged karate kick. Just... yeah.

I loved that tidbit J. Mascis had about touring with them... where Murph asked Rey Washam a question about his cymbals, and Washam just grabbed a cymbal and threw it on the ground. The cymbal smashed in two. He used to room with someone he hated [forget who] so he could get even more amped up for the shows.

Actually, I found it.

Hilarious in a demented way. But that sense of rage really comes off the records though. AMPED UP.

Question: What's amazing about Washam?
Mascis: Just the rage, the hatred and the rage that came out of him.

hahaha

Attachments

• Rey Washam madness.jpg
    Rey Washam madness.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Agreed... though Big Black are the best Albini band... by far.

Shellac... all about the first record*... their records thereafter were pure reductive dirt...ok, I get what you're doing...but, please Albini. Waste of a good drummer - Todd Trainer. He could've been playing in a real kickass groove machine.

*although arguably nothing special compared to other noise rock luminaries such as Dazzling Killmen.

i am the contrarian who prefers shellac to big black

still can’t listen to rapeman without wincing at the name. it was a bad idea then. the passing of time has not made it seem like any more of a good idea.

Rapeman are a tight unit... all about the drum sound. Listened to that album lately... it's total amp up material. Felt like I was getting so amped up I was going to punch the windows out in my room. Just pogoing, with the record up to deafening levels, my feet just pounding into the floorboards with the odd deranged karate kick. Just... yeah.

I loved that tidbit J. Mascis had about touring with them... where Murph asked Rey Washam a question about his cymbals, and Washam just grabbed a cymbal and threw it on the ground. The cymbal smashed in two. He used to room with someone he hated [forget who] so he could get even more amped up for the shows.

Actually, I found it.

Hilarious in a demented way. But that sense of rage really comes off the records though. AMPED UP.

Question: What's amazing about Washam?
Mascis: Just the rage, the hatred and the rage that came out of him.

hahaha
that interview with J Mascis was the Wire mag Invisible Jukebox feature?
my favourite one of those was with Kevin Shields. he knew none of the records or artists they played for him.
the best part was where he said he never heard of Derek Bailey.

Wire and Maximum Rock n Roll both started in 1982. so both had similar issue numbers.
MRR was 9 ahead on 432 went it went OOP in May 2019.

remember the 90's feature in Melody Maker named after the early FALL song REBELLIOUS JUKEBOX?
(''I'm searching for the now, I'm looking for the real thing, yeah'')

the tag was (J Mascis / Andy Cairns / Bjork / LL Cool J / Jon Bon Jovi/Kim Gordon or whoever) - ''talks about the records that changed his/her life''.
so usually the person would pick 12 tunes in the order they first heard them which were epiphanies at the time.
the J Mascis one was pretty good in late 1992.
But Bjork was the best because of the then unusual diversity of the stuff she chose.
usually people chose things you'd expect them to like e.g. Andy Cairns -
The Sweet, Buzzcocks, Joy Division, Only Ones, Cheap Trick, Gang of Four, Black Flag, Metallica, Big Black etc.

Bjork (10 July 1993)

here's a whole load of em' if you scroll down to the bottom of the link ( J Mascis/ Kim Deal /Kim Gordon/ MES / Richey Edwards / Marc Almond etc)

Dave Grohl (1997) is the king of this kind of thing:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back