Wire - 154 (1979) (2 Viewers)

and hey, let’s just throw in minor threat’s cover of 12xu here also. different wire album, I know, but this is both amazing and hilarious.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

also, 154 is very much the peak of wire-the-art-project. four people basically thinking of themselves as a shared conceptual art performance that took the form of a band. it’s something I was reminded of recently when I was looking at a video of talking heads from 1976 on the website of the kitchen, in new york, which included a photo of the original press release for the gig. The image is a charming piece of retro arcana in its own right, but is also interesting for this line: “Talking Heads is a group of performing artists whose medium is rock and roll music and its pursuant “band” organisation and visual presentation.” Probably a bit more pretentiously (or ironically) stated, but same basic order-of-priorities as late-70s wire.

View attachment 15133
That's a great comparison.
Talking of Wire covers, this is mostly brilliant. A lot of love for the songs.

I still love elastica.
Rips offs and all.
The debut is still in my top 10.
I need to check out 154. See if they robbed any riffs off it.

Both Elastica albums are great. Blur are great. Wire are great.

load of youtube shite
Yes, because when people think of me they think of the guy who is positive about everything.

cool Britannia innit?

how do you feel about Oasis
I like Oasis I guess. I don't listen to them much in 2021 or anything but some of it holds up. I think Noel Gallagher once said that everything he had to say about the world he said in Cigarettes and Alcohol, Live Forever and RocknRoll Star and he was probably right there. I might add in Round Are Way as well, good song.

They did untold damage to the very fabric of pop music by lowering the standards and aspirations for your standard idiot about town and they had a billion worse imitators we all had to suffer from but that's not necessarily all their fault. I will put the blame for the English Rock Defense League whinging about black people heading Glastonbury or the like solely on Noel though. He's like the British Gene Simmons in that way.

Yes, because when people think of me they think of the guy who is positive about everything.

I like Oasis I guess. I don't listen to them much in 2021 or anything but some of it holds up. I think Noel Gallagher once said that everything he had to say about the world he said in Cigarettes and Alcohol, Live Forever and RocknRoll Star and he was probably right there. I might add in Round Are Way as well, good song.

They did untold damage to the very fabric of pop music by lowering the standards and aspirations for your standard idiot about town and they had a billion worse imitators we all had to suffer from but that's not necessarily all their fault. I will put the blame for the English Rock Defense League whinging about black people heading Glastonbury or the like solely on Noel though. He's like the British Gene Simmons in that way.

In fairness very little from that era/scene/genre did or does much for me.
different strokes for different folks

In fairness very little from that era/scene/genre did or does much for me.
different strokes for different folks
Formative stuff for me. I may as well try and take it on instead of cowering away, you know? I'm not going around recommending Oasis to anyone!

Oasis are the Conor McGregor of music

I remember when oasis first went to America seeing an interview they did over there on MTV.
It was subtitled. I had never seen subtitles for people speaking the same language before.

I like loads of Oasis songs, but I never found them interesting beyond that. Its all a bit too egg & chips, watch the football....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back