Windows 10 (1 Viewer)

• Thread starter pete
  • Start date
  • Replies 83
  • Views 10K
  • Watchers 3
Mine upgraded itself to 10 last night, at least I think I said no the last time it asked me
Yeah, it's started doing it automatically. There's something that's hidden away you can do to stop it apparently. Google is your friend for that one.

Also you've a month to downgrade again if you wish.

I just bought a new wireless adapter and I'm back in business
I'd say go for it. I loved Windows 10 when it first came out despite the rough edges. But with each update it's getting progressively worse for me. Webcam stopped after one update. Software uninstalled without explanation. Steam Games no longer working. Strange things happening with audio drivers. USB MIDI keyboard works only intermittently. And don't get me started on Candy Crush Saga installing itself automatically. When I get a bit of time to do it I'm totally going back to 7. Windows 10 will be great, but it seems to be pretty slipshod at the moment.

Holy crap, I think Microsoft just fixed Windows 10. All my bugbears seem to be gone. Search works like it did in Windows 7, it doesn't take 15 minutes for my downloads folder to open, Chrome has stopped running like a lame dog.....

I don't want to speak too soon, but I'm starting to think it's not shit anymore.

In a final last ditch act of desperation I installed the software supplied with the wireless device and it worked! Whizzing along now. I can't be running wires all over the gaff, there's no space under the doors

i did my cabling (as in surround speaker wires in one room, and a network cable and a coax for the tellybox from one room into the one next to it - and didn't even have the presence of mind to run some ducting, or even a spare CAT-5) when the fireplace was being replaced and floors were being done and the skirting boards were off...

i know kids are morons and all but it does need an 'act like a computer and not a touch screen' button, like for people who've been working with a computer for 30 years.

Audio a bit shit

serious crash problems.

otherwise forgot i was using it.

I dunno if it is windows 10 related buh...

A new dell inspiron laptop is driving me round the twist. wired and wi-fi internet is very slow. getting download speeds of 20Mbps, while the Moto G4 is zipping along at 90+.

So far I have tried the following without any improvements
Uninstalled McAfee
Turned off Firewalls completely (turned them back on when it did nothing)
Updated all network related drivers
Made sure that receive window auto-tuning level is set to normal
Disabled all the network adapters showing in device manager but the LAN and Wireless ones
The wireless card is configured for 802.11ac, so i blocked every other type of network coming from the Virgin Media Hub.

NO JOY.

Was slow on the office internet in work as well. Something in this computer is capping out my download speeds and I have no idea what. Wrecking my head for two nights now.

internet suggests:

• Right click Start
  • Click “Power Options”
  • Click “Change Plan Options” on currently selected power plan
  • Click “Change Advanced Power Settings”
  • Click “Wireless Adapter Settings”
  • Under “Power Saving Mode” change “Setting” to “Maximum Performance” on both “On battery” and “Plugged in”.

cheers! but, yeah, same. i feel a factory reset coming on.

i flushed dns cache and reset the tcp/ip stack last night without really understanding what that does. some system process has been chugging away in the background ever since. hmmmm.

at least my saturday night is planned ahead of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back