Wind Farms (1 Viewer)

P. Littbarski

some positive developments regarding energy...it makes so much sense that Ireland should start setting an example for the rest of the world.

Green light for ESB wind farm (23/10/02)
THE ESB has been granted planning permission for the development of a renewable energy wind farm at the ESB Moneypoint power station, Co Clare, writes Frank Khan.
The wind farm, which will be capable of supplying 20,000 Clare homes with clean green energy, got the go-ahead despite objections from local groups.
Last night the ESB said it expects that work on the construction of the wind farm would get under way next year.
Development will take about one year.
The development will comprise nine turbines of about 2 to 2.5MW each on the existing ESB site.
The initial investment in the project will be €20m

and here is an older but informative article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/1755413.stm

Good stuff....

There's a lot of stuff happening in the energy markets in Europe. A court decision went against the EU Competition authority over a proposed block between two large French energy companies. That, with the whole EdF shit that has been happening, it good to see that we're establishing some kind of indigenous energy business.

kevin myers must be frothing at the mouth... wind farms are one of his favourite bugbears.

i know this because i read the irish times, which is read by eight out of ten top business prefessionals. i rule.

Wind farms are something I'm totally in favour of. Theres two of them near my home in sligo, and I don't think they're an eyesore like some people say. They're actually interesting to look at, and its not like they're permanent or anything. They can be taken down and removed very easily.

I never understand why there is always so much objection to them. There seems to be an objection culture in the west of Ireland. People complain that they are left behind and theres no development in the west, and as soon as some proposed development comes, everyones objecting, even when its obviously not harmful to the environment. I remember in school our teacher telling us that someday we'll find out they're harmful to the environment and that we're being conned into thinking they're not.

There is going to be a huge one built of the wicklow coast on a sandbank miles out in the sea. As far as I know, it won't be seen from the land and the seabed is just sand at that point so it won't be damaging any eco-systems. Apparently where windfarms in denmark were built in similar conditions, seaweed began to grow on the base of the turbines and actually created a habitat for sealife where there hadn't been one before.

Originally posted by Dan
There is going to be a huge one built of the wicklow coast on a sandbank miles out in the sea. As far as I know, it won't be seen from the land and the seabed is just sand at that point so it won't be damaging any eco-systems. Apparently where windfarms in denmark were built in similar conditions, seaweed began to grow on the base of the turbines and actually created a habitat for sealife where there hadn't been one before.

...maybe I should have read the link first.... !bing

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back