Why am I so underwhelmed by music these days? (1 Viewer)

I personally think is the best time ever to be a music bod...I'm mad into it.

Point is, is when I first head him - It was totally new no me.
Saw some youtube video of him playing a gig in the rain & nearly getting electrocuted. Amazing.
Got the album - amazing. Totally new to me. This is my new this saw I.

Mere months later & I'd forgotten his name.

That just described me too. I have a theory that our musical tastes are pretty much set by the age of when we first got into music. You will always go back to that spot. My father still listens to nothing but Beach Boys and the Platters. I always go back to the Smiths, Talking Heads, Replacements, yadda yadda yadda. In new bands I'll hear bits of the old and get really excited but in the end... I always go back. There have only been a few new bands (post 1993) that have really stuck with me. Most just filter in and out.

I think thats quite true of me too, actually though I suppose I've never thought about it that way

So jonah who do go back too ..The Wiggles?You nipper!

Jill I think theres something a bit mental in your stance....I'm not saying I dont have a sweet spot for the sounds of my youth...but tbh...BELLE AND SEBASTIAN alone (and I've a good few faves like that) are equally important to me than say The Smiths or dead kennedys of my adolescence....
New music is'nt ALL just about quick bubblegum fixes....although i like them as much as the profound stuff....but theres still kicks and joy a plenty to be had.....

Pfft.

Anyway I think I misunderstood, I thought Jill meant the music that first got us into music as opposed to the contemporary music that we were getting into then - in which case that is verymuch not true for me.

Pfft.

Anyway I think I misunderstood, I thought Jill meant the music that first got us into music as opposed to the contemporary music that we were getting into then - in which case that is verymuch not true for me.

I did. Meaning... all the bands I found say from 14 to 18 (not meaning they were necessarily contemporary at that time) are my go-to bands still. They will always be my core. I enjoy and get really into new bands but usually because there is a thread in there leading back but in the end... I always go back to my core. I'd say there have been maybe 20 bands that I've discovered (and were formed) post 1993 that I love. Actually, that might be pushing it.

I did. Meaning... all the bands I found say from 14 to 18 (not meaning they were necessarily contemporary at that time) are my go-to bands still. They will always be my core. I enjoy and get really into new bands but usually because there is a thread in there leading back but in the end... I always go back to my core. I'd say there have been maybe 20 bands that I've discovered (and were formed) post 1993 that I love. Actually, that might be pushing it.

Oh yes, then we're on the same page. I mean there are definitely exceptions for me, I think I'm still in the process of discovering bands that will stay with me for a lifetime, but in general, certainly.

I'm not so sure. I also go back to the stuff I listened to when I was whatever age as well but I also have to remember all the bands I listened to back then I don't listen to now.

Ask me again in a few years and we'll see if I'm still listening to stuff I got into at 21 I suppose....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back