Whipping Boy - Heartworm (1995) (2 Viewers)

pete

chronic procrastinator
Staff member
Since 1999
Solutions
Website
thumped.com
3.00 star(s) Rating: 3.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Heartworm
Artist: Whipping Boy
Released: 1995

Tracks:
1 - Twinkle - 5:01
2 - When We Were Young - 2:52
3 - Tripped - 3:45
4 - The Honeymoon Is Over - 3:38
5 - We Don't Need Nobody Else - 4:17
6 - Blinded - 3:54
7 - Personality - 4:28
8 - Users - 3:53
9 - Fiction - 3:25
10 - Morning Rise / A Natural - 9:08

Overview:
Whipping Boy's major label debut, Heartworm, appeared in 1994 and was greeted with glowing reviews. Despite allegations of misogyny arising from the lyrics in one song on the album, three successful singles were released. "We Don't Need Nobody Else" was the first and best, and featured mostly spoken lyrics about Irish life. The casual, off-handed reference to domestic violence in this song makes it all the more effective. "Twinkle" was the second single, as good as the previous release, and catalogued the horrifying faults of the female partner in a relationship, before blossoming into the gorgeous chorus "She's the one for me/Now and always". "When We Were Young" was the third single released.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Christ, are we at the bottom of the barrel already?
When this album is good, it's pretty good. But there's too many dud moments and the production is dated all to fuck. Don't get me wrong, I listened to it a lot when it was out, and I thought it was great, but if we're putting it in the top echelons of all released music then it's not going to stand up to the same scrutiny that I'd give, say, Master of Puppets or the like.

But I haven't listened to it in its entirety in years, so why not?

It's no classic.
But if you're an Irish person of a certain age...

I'm even riper than that, as I loved their first EPs (Highwayman etc) and thought Submarine was enjoyable but this was their inevitable early 90s tilt at major label stardom that pushed them into alt-rock.
HECK of a live band in their time. Sublime guitarist.

Yeah, i was never that impressed with them either. Of what i've heard, the only song i even half liked was twinkle. I remember when they were dropped by Sony ( I think) and there was a piece in hot press saying the band were considering offers from 7 or 8 other labels. Yeah right !!! I thought.

saw these guys play one of the oddest gigs i've ever attended - a saturday afternoon show in the gym hall of st. andrew's college, booterstown, preceded by a couple of the school's own teenage, covers bands playing e.g. highway to hell - c.1991/2. whipping boy played like it was madison square garden.

I didn't like them much "back in the day" but that was mostly probably because of yer man's antics. Saw them a bunch of times ... in the Underground ..... at a thing in Project (I think?) with The Idiots. They mostly just annoyed me. I've since come to admit that When We Were Young and We Don't Need ... are both brilliant songs so looking forward to checking this out and giving it a fair hearing.

Yes. Brilliant both. There was an alternative version of When We Were Young that started off "when we were young we used to go over the back wall into old Dan's scrapyard". That was brilliant too

Its a varyation on a phil lynott lyric:

When we were kids he used to go over the back wall into old Dan's scrapyard
Into the snooker hall where most us kids were barred
An' into the roxy and the stella where film stars starred
That's where me and Hopalong an' Roy Rogers got drunk and jarred
And we might have been the saviour of the men,
The captured captain in the devil's demon den
And we might have been the magic politician in some kind of tricky position
Like an old, old, old master musician we kept on wishin'
We was headed for the number one hit country again

I love the earthy sound of the strings that start it off and them fading into the guitar with the big delay.

Before my time for seeing them play. Released in 1995? Some big albums out that year. Shit, this is as good as any of that. I'm into it.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back