Whipping Boy - Heartworm (1995) (1 Viewer)

Ferghal had his problems but I met him in a pub at An early Liss and Festival and he was relatively sober and very friendly. Heinvited me to chat with himself and his girlfriend as I was there alone. We had a great evening talking about music - Spacemen 3, Yo La tengo, the Velvets, Jonatgan Richman, their own stuff. He beamed when I told him I bought Lou Reed's Berlin after hearing their great version of Caroline Says.

Listen to Caroline Says II by Whipping Boy #np on #SoundCloud
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is fine, nothing amazing but not shit either. I like the music more than the lyrics but it all sounds like fairly standard 90s misery (it reminds me a lot of Therapy?'s Infernal Love). After three listens, none of it is really lingering in my mind and although I enjoy it while it's playing, I have no urge to put it on again at all.

Christ, are we at the bottom of the barrel already?
When this album is good, it's pretty good. But there's too many dud moments and the production is dated all to fuck. Don't get me wrong, I listened to it a lot when it was out, and I thought it was great, but if we're putting it in the top echelons of all released music then it's not going to stand up to the same scrutiny that I'd give, say, Master of Puppets or the like.

But I haven't listened to it in its entirety in years, so why not?

'it's not going to stand up to the same scrutiny that I'd give, say, Master of Puppets'

That's one of the funniest things I've heard all year. Honestly thought you were joking for a second

It's no classic.
But if you're an Irish person of a certain age...

Strongly disagree. Bit before my time but I think it is a classic.

Very doubtful reunion gigs will happen. They all have families have moved on. I have seen them live 3 times. 1996 (fantastic at the height of their powers), 2005 (it was great to hear songs off the 3rd album) and 2006. By 2006 Ferghal was channelling later day Jim Morrison, gig was a shambles sound problems and Ferghal looked fairly drunk. The albums are fantastic and Heartworm has stood the test of time and one of the few albums from my teens I still revisit.

the reunion shows were around '06, no? How the hell can they be that long ago. Jaysis.

That show was a shambles. McKee carrying out a ceremonial burning of the Evening Herald onstage. On one level I can get behind that. On another, why?

Last Dublin one was 2011, which I really enjoyed. Featuring two of my cousins on bass and guitar:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back