Where To Get Free Wi Fi In Town (1 Viewer)

Antrophe

A while ago I came across a thread on some tech site claiming a selection of eircom payphones throughout Dublin city are now transmitting wireless broadband access within a range of approximately 50 metres. The complete list of them is over here: http://www.ucdsu.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=873

Is there any other sites in town where you can get decent Wifi access for free, any museums etc? I know the Chester Beatty promises it, but living down the road from it Ive popped in on several different occasions to use it and find it never works. This seems to be the same for many pubs and cafes that advertise it. So if you use Wi-fi in town, where do you find is the best and most reliable?

don't know about free wi-fi but an interesting contribution on hackaday about those eircom net phones.

There are things in Ireland called net phones, They are found all over the world especially this model. It in Ireland is an eircom net phone, I found out the other day (by seeing an eircom technicians fat ass) there is a reset switch underneath. I pressed it with a key and indeed the box reset. But the best bit is by holding the q and the v key at startup it goes to admin mode, there is a setting in there to add websites to the free to view list, and one one of these in a payphone in dublin hackaday.com is free to view

Antrophe said:
A while ago I came across a thread on some tech site claiming a selection of eircom payphones throughout Dublin city are now transmitting wireless broadband access within a range of approximately 50 metres. The complete list of them is over here: http://www.ucdsu.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=873

Is there any other sites in town where you can get decent Wifi access for free, any museums etc? I know the Chester Beatty promises it, but living down the road from it Ive popped in on several different occasions to use it and find it never works. This seems to be the same for many pubs and cafes that advertise it. So if you use Wi-fi in town, where do you find is the best and most reliable?
i'm told the stephens green centre has a hotspot in the restaurant / coffee shop area? dunno meself cos i've never triped it.

solas is a wifi hotspot as far as I know. As is apparently the entire digital hub area.

I don't know if I'd be comfortable producing anything portable with a higher value than a nap of heroin anywhere near the Digital Hub...

There are a lot of free hotspots around Temple Bar as well - Your best bet is to install netstumbler/macstumbler and see what's open.

Just set up Irish Broadband's Ripwave on my laptop. I live about two skips and a donkey's tail from the Gunniess Storehouse which provides the base for their signal. I'm trying to download a video from Fat-Pie - it's like trying to beat a rose bush into shitting candy apples.

The speed is a whopping 7.1kb/sec, with just 2.bmb of a 36.8Mb file downloading. Over and hour and a half left to go....tick tock..tick tock. The fucking gaping disappointment of it all. And the worst thing about it is that we were going to get the 2mb Breeze option, but the stupid property management company that runs the apartment complex won't let people put fucking aerials on the roof. Not to mention that they had to re-deliver the modem cos some wingnut of a courier gave it to some random lunatic living somewhere in my apartment complex ensuring it never materialises again, while he looks at it trying to figure out is it a blender or a vibrator

Antrophe, try this regarding poor ripwave signals. i got ripwave for about week last year, i sent it back coz it didn't work. seems to be fairly shite.

Crikers, justing looking at the Smart Telecom product now and beating myself across the head with RipWave. Guess the twelve month commitment though would be a problem to a flat land transient like me though.

i asked smart about that, and they said that whilst not official, if you were moving somewhere within the same region before the 12 months were up and wanted to keep smart they would simply try and move the account.
they don't wanna lose yer business after all

Hey Theseus Mock, when you sent back your Rip Wave to Irish Broadband what was their reaction? Did you just cut the direct debit and leave them high and dry? After less than a day with it, I'm chucking it in. Is the Smart option, really the smart option? If I want to get it set up do I just go through Smart or do I have to have a Eircom phone line up and running first?

Antrophe said:
Hey Theseus Mock, when you sent back your Rip Wave to Irish Broadband what was their reaction? Did you just cut the direct debit and leave them high and dry? After less than a day with it, I'm chucking it in. Is the Smart option, really the smart option? If I want to get it set up do I just go through Smart or do I have to have a Eircom phone line up and running first?
have you tried moving the wee box around the place? out on the window ledge and stuff?

yo antrophe, as far as i remember they refunded my connection fee (or was it the payment for the first month? can't remember.) think you have about 7 days to give it back to them, no questions asked. just mention quality of service to them, etc. I would expect IBB to be fairly content with accepting ripwave modems back on first use coz the product is fairly dire. to get smart you'll need to get the eircom line installed/re-connected then transfer it over to smart. a bit of a rigmarole. AFAIK, the ripwave contract is monthly? you'd be better off sticking with it for a month or two (if you really need the internerd in the meantime) all whilst you get a line in (10 days), apply for smart (suppose a week?), confirmation that you're application is processed & modem will be sent out (10 days) & THEN after receipt of modem, wait up to 10 days to actually have your line physically transferred over to smart upon which you can then start using their broadband. and then pray smart doesn't go bust.

oh, and wired internet access is always the winner against wireless anytime. so you don't have to worry about rainy days.

Theseus Mock said:
oh, and wired internet access is always the winner against wireless anytime. so you don't have to worry about rainy days.
my 2mb up & down would disagree

Yeah, I've moved it around, covered up various aspects of it with books and other such tosh, even hired little elves to dance around with it and the connection is still unforgiveably shite. I mean the point of having the damn thing was to avoid wasting cash in net cafes and getting my downloading on. It's fine for downloading tracks actually but a complete disaster for anything thats static on the net and not dependent on someone else's upload speed. I think keeping it untill we go through the rigmorole of getting a Eircom line in and shifting it to Smart is the best bet, then hook up a wireless router (if thats the term) to that and make do myself and the neighbours a favour.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back