when van morrison was amazing (1 Viewer)

there is no such thing as an amazing sax solo

Here's five choons with sax solos I like:

A Love Supreme-Jesus Christ
Superfreak-Rick James
Big-Jesus-Trash-Can-The Birthday Party
Marvin Gaye-Mercy, Mercy Me
Sade-Smooth Operator

Track down Lester Bangs essay on it, if you haven't before, a rare case of a review being as of merit as the album

Yeah love that essay, I just chanced upon it in a book while chilling in a mate's house one evening. It sent shivers down my spine. I had to put on Astral Weeks as soon as I got home!!!

Yeah, sax in rock is laregly horrible, but there are exceptions. Steve Mackay on Fun House is superb and I like Bobby Keys on some of the Rolling Stone albums too, especially Sweet Virginia. Garth Hudson on Last Waltz too, It Makes No Difference I think the song is.

Its the whole 70's coked-out, horrible bluesy-sax wailing that I can't stand. You know the type of shit Letterman and Lenos house band churn out. *shudders*

Its no wonder it died in the 80's with the synth.

I'm on that shit right now

they reckon he turned after Veedon Fleece, by the late 70's he got the synths in and started going up his own hole... I've been told 1986's No Guru No Method was a return to form, but I'm cynical...

From what I remember NGNM is pretty decent although I haven't played it for ages. Veedon Fleece was probably his last hurrah before that. Wavelength (1978) is dire.

That live album Hugh mentioned is deadly.

His back catalogue is a bit of a mess. Most of the decent albums seem unavailable aside from Astral Weeks, Moondance and His Band....

Listening to TB Sheets right now, good stuff. Bean meaning to have another funk and soul phase for ages, looks like it's finally started.

Sonic's records are covered in sax-Sonic's records are great.
I was never able to give any time to Van Morrison,pretty much anyone I know old enough from belfast,says he was a prick. He lived in the same street as my mum,she has no good stories about him,because he was a prick.

my uncle was a bbc radio producer, he worked with van for years. said he was difficult, only called when he wanted something, would refuse his signature for charity raffles, stuff like that. but fuck it, i'd rather have those old records than another polite, anonymous old guy kicking around the belmont road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back