when van morrison was amazing (1 Viewer)

Pantone247

Since 2000
Website
pantone247.blogspot.com
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it doesn't matter if you hate the guy, this is incredible, points of note

• the entire band glued to him lest he decides to ditch the arrangment and have another sax solo on a whim.. look closely, they almost look fearful

• the drummer, he's the shit, watch him coming back in on double time on the second verse... holy... shit...

• the bass player

• the bass player's fashion sense

• the pretty aces sax solo at the end, dude on keys really digs in as well great overdrive off his rhodes

• the bass player doing great like duck nods between backing vocals

• none of these dudes ever played on the records, seems they were just some dudes he gathered for a tour, they played, he ditched them, no biggie... it's nuts, they are all totally shit hot

• state of Van... just the state of him...

Deadly stuff just watching Caravan with the band now: "justa one more time"

I wore astral weeks out in college, my bedroom had a fire place, you'd roll a few doobs, play astral weeks, space out... it is amazing, but it's so ingraind in my brain. Track down Lester Bangs essay on it, if you haven't before, a rare case of a review being as of merit as the album

I am, today, all about the soul and R n'B Van Morrison of 1974

If you ever wonder what all the fuss about Van Morrison is about have a look at his Last Waltz performance- he looks like he's actually having fun

wow- Them in 1965- good ol youtube!

Astral Weeks and His band and the Street Choir are often all I listen to for days. 'mazin.

Live album from (1974?) It's Too Late To Stop Now is a great document of how incredible he was back then. Where did it all go wrong?

the high kicks at the end

*wow*

in the purple jumpsuit

*wow*

with the balding... and the paunch...

*wow*

best thing on last waltz, or at least on a par with the Staple Singers doing The Weight

Gotta agree. He looks hi-larious in The Last Waltz (his leg-kicks remind me of Gordon Strachan's goal celebration in Mexico '86) but if there's a better white soul singer around then I ain't heard him. I love Martha Staples lil' hand-claps on The LAst Waltz but Dylan singing 'Forever Young' chokes me up everytime-probably because I usually put the movie on in the wee hours after a load of booze.

I reckon St. Dominic's Preview is an under-valued VM album btw. Perhaps that's because I've worn out my copies of Astral Weeks & Moondance.

I reckon St. Dominic's Preview is an under-valued VM album btw. Perhaps that's because I've worn out my copies of Astral Weeks & Moondance.

Absolutely. I'd stick that on in preference to AW or Moondance any day.

Live album from (1974?) It's Too Late To Stop Now is a great document of how incredible he was back then. Where did it all go wrong?

I'm on that shit right now

they reckon he turned after Veedon Fleece, by the late 70's he got the synths in and started going up his own hole... I've been told 1986's No Guru No Method was a return to form, but I'm cynical...

I remember being told in HP how Van reads every issue and if he feels he's been (even mildly) mis-represented in anyway will personally write a lenghty letter f'ing and blinding about how much hates the music press, not get his PA or manager too, but he does this himself... everytime...if he's doing this with a few major music titles a week, a month, whatever... leaves fuck all time for being amazing... I think he just plain lost it.

I've always said he needs a Rick Rubin like kick up the hole ala Johnny Cash, getting him back on the right path

I'm on that shit right now

they reckon he turned after Veedon Fleece, by the late 70's he got the synths in and started going up his own hole... I've been told 1986's No Guru No Method was a return to form, but I'm cynical...

Yeah you're right to be cynical. I think it's a pretty boring album. Not heard it in yonks though mind you ....

The old man is a no guru fan but I wouldn't trust him too much, I must give it a listen and see for myself.

there is no such thing as an amazing sax solo

Colin Stetson on Alice by Tom Waits. Beautiful stuff and probably one of my favourite songs of all time. That's the kind of sax I love. Alto, slow, melodic, delicious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back