When did everyone in this country become completey incompetent? (1 Viewer)

But don't you think that at a certain point, people won't improve unless they feel bad about themselves?

No one loses weight because they think they look awesome being 2 stone overweight. They do it from the self-loathing.
You have to dislike something about yourself to want to change it.

Life isn't kindergarten.
I have 2 answers to this

First - I don't agree. I'd imagine that anyone here who plays an instrument, for example, didn't need to feel especially bad about themselves to try and improve at it. Competence can be its own reward. Plus sometimes practice on its own can improve you - I started programming computers for a living in 1996, and I was shit at it for ages, but eventually got good more or less by accident

Second - I don't care. It's not my responsibility to make sure that the window cleaner gets good at his job. I'll just hire a different guy next time.

(Also - pretty much nobody loses weight anyway. I read the abstract of some big Europe wide study of dieting since 2010 while ago, can't remember the source, and they found that 98% of people who diet are no lighter after 1 year)

... but maybe the kinder thing would be to not spare someone's feelings in the present, in order that no-one would have to spare their feelings in the future? Because due to my honest feedback they'd have been provided with the information they needed to improve?

Maybe

Damn, now you've made me second-guess myself

At the same time, most people are doing more at work than they were hired to do, some things are just not possible.

This is a good point.
When we expect the level of service we see in other countries do we remember that for example the minimum wage in a tipping job in the US is $2.15 an hour.
It's easy to have good service when it's built on crushing poverty for a lot of people.

On the other hand..
I don't see much difference between staffing levels in restaurants in Ireland and abroad. Most anyway big places here have hosts/hostesses and all of that palaver, and the ratio of staff to table seems about the same, they just seem to be incapable of achieving the same level of service with the same resources.

"Must try harder" applies to a lot of people in certain trades in this country. I cannot stand it - I'm actually pretty boycott-happy - sometimes an experience is not worth a complaint, but it can leave enough of a bad taste... fool me once etc. When something is worth a complaint though, complain.

Restaurants:

Was talking to the missus there earlier - she was giving out about a completely inedible piece of cod she was served in a restaurant in Ballyvaughan at the weekend.

"Did you complain?"
"No"
"..."

Complain. This is something Irish people should do a lot more. Otherwise the pricks will not learn.

As for fucking mechanics:

I have a great mechanic - I travel up from Cork to Co. Limerick specifically to use him. Very dependable, honest, cheap - no bullshit ever.

He was sick once and I took the car to another guy for a NCT service. Actually, on the way up my brake cable snapped - it was one of the snowy Christmases a few years ago, had to drive another 40 miles in the snow with only the handbrake. A stressful evening.

This other mechanic told me that the brake cable had been put on wrong, and had been rubbing off the wheel at certain times. Frightening. He replaced the cable and serviced my car.

This service cost a fair bit more than usual, and he missed some crucial things - he didn't notice the fan was broken, and, when he put the new brake cable in he put it back on THE WRONG WAY.

It failed the NCT on emissions. I drove the car around for a couple of weeks before an exhaust guy spotted the cable.

An incompetent dangerous idiot. He got some abuse.

hangingcat_Large.jpg

“If the prime minister wants to talk to me, I will crawl, I will swim or I will fly to him, I will sit in front of him, drop on my knees and beg – let me buy my pub”

That's how you get things done

Came across this article from an unrelated Google search and I think it fits here, especially point no. 1.

Five Things I Hate About Dublin Ireland | An American in Dublin

Number One: Institutionalized Disorganization & Shameless Lack of Accountability –The Irish Goat Rodeo

The thing that grates most about living in The Republic of Ireland (particularly in Dublin because it has so many more ways to express itself in the city) is the laid back Irish way of just accepting poorly designed, executed, and delivered goods and services at all levels of life.

On one hand, there is a nice easygoing way about the Irish. They are all very nice and extremely relaxed. But they’ve got such a casual outlook on life that they seem to have stopped expecting things to be done well, or, in some cases, at all.

You kind of expect this attitude from governments the world over. But in Ireland everyone expects to have to ask landlords/banks/public offices two or even three times to get anything done. Even if someone tells you to your face that they’ll take care of something, you MUST follow up because it’s likely they will “forget” to do it. This is accepted practice here. The attitude seems to be, “It’s okay. They’ll get to it eventually.”

Yes, the Irish are all very relaxed. But they also don’t seem to excel at anything, or care about doing so. It’s a relaxed attitude that’s not exactly laziness, but a kind of contentment born of sucking economic and social hind tit for decades. They don’t expect better of themselves, and as a consequence aren’t surprised when that’s what the world hands them. And then that’s how they themselves treat the next person.

There’s no reward for excellence, so why bother going the extra mile?

One apologist I spoke with explained it like this:

“It’s all very well to have a plan (and goals). But plans often go awry. So the Irish would rather be flexible than focused and driven. It’s better to have nothing planned and be adaptable than disappointed when your plan doesn’t work out.”

For a moment I was caught up in the bald-faced hippy dippy live and let live laid back way of this. And then I realized, that’s how NOTHING gets done.

And that’s why the delivery of most services in Ireland function in a manner kindly referred to by military personnel the world over as a complete “goat rodeo”.

Came across this article from an unrelated Google search and I think it fits here, especially point no. 1.

Five Things I Hate About Dublin Ireland | An American in Dublin
One of his other complaints is having two taps for hot and cold water. The man's a fucking half wit. To be fair he's right about some of it though. The bus service is dire and public service is fairly shite but this

Yes, the Irish are all very relaxed. But they also don’t seem to excel at anything, or care about doing so. It’s a relaxed attitude that’s not exactly laziness, but a kind of contentment born of sucking economic and social hind tit for decades. They don’t expect better of themselves, and as a consequence aren’t surprised when that’s what the world hands them. And then that’s how they themselves treat the next person.

There’s no reward for excellence, so why bother going the extra mile?

Is everything wrong with America in one paragraph. This cunt's never worked in a minimum wage job in hicksville Arkansas and had this work yourself better attitude blasted at by some twat supervisor and so he probably still believes all that 'merican bullshit.

Using running water is more hygienic than a sink full of water. Plus the amount of water it saves depends on the size of the sink. We have a little sink in the downstairs toilet but the upstairs one is massive, running the tap shortly makes more sense unless you're washing your hands for an extended period of time (or have the taps blasting out water like diarrohea from a tramp's arse).

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back