What's wrong with thumped.com? (2 Viewers)

All of this has been said already, but to reiterate, I'd love it if you would:
cut down on the number of forums/subforums;
ditch all the widgets;
kill the image sigs.

one of the worst things about thumped; the completely redundant ellipsis when it's a four page thread.

View attachment 7459

there are only two alternatives - turn off the page links entirely (which i've just done), or show every single one of them, which is no good for 100 page threads

Farmville.

Download it off a torrent or something,place'll be fucking rammed

I'd merge Lifestyle and General, and kill all the sub forums in travel and 1011100000101. For starters.

*All* sigs must die, and all the Pinterest things and misc. buttons and clutter that has very little to do with talking to other pricks in small boxes on the Internet.

All IMHO. Maybe other people get great mileage out of all of the above.

I'm in agreement.Strip it back big time.
Focus on what does work..thats people talking.
Get them all in the one place.
Slap a hi pass filter on this mofo.Clean out the bottom end.Increase dynamics.

Maybe even lash some flanger on it.

If Gordan Ramsey came in here he'd say "fack me,look at that menu,facking ell"

Whats the opening in the market?A music forum..what have we got?
A shmorgasboard of everything from babies to buffoons.
Make it all about the music.(and football)

just coming back to this now - the speed on creativeireland is probably a lot to do with the fact that it's gone very quiet, but it's a nice pared back look.

e.g.
http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34158

Grade
C
Overall performance score 71 Ruleset applied: YSlow(V2) URL: http://thumped.com/bbs/forum.php

vs

GradeC
Overall performance score 76 Ruleset applied: YSlow(V2) URL: http://www.creativeireland.com/forums/forums_index.php
there's no denying creativeireland feels way faster though

The Thumped fav.ico looks like a piece of toast.

THIS IS BOTH TRADITIONAL AND NON NEGOTIABLE

On thumped.com, the reviews/interviews/upcoming event/etc (all the blog type entries) need to be gutted. The only things that need to be shown are subject, timestamp (just day would be nice)/author/a nice looking unobtrusive lite-weight social sharing button (I don't care how many people have liked or tweeted an article, just give me the functionality to broadcast it).

OK yeah I took out the counters too - does anyone other than me need to know / care?

Clean up the font too.

what's wrong with the font?

Get rid of everything else: date modified/related items/more by this author, print/email button/font size changer/tags/published in/etc/etc.

I've taken out the print/email button/font size change toolbar. Doubt anyone ever used it, even when it had the link down to embedded media. Leaving in the rest as i think it's useful info.

Get rid of latest posts/threads widget from homepage.

No!

Also, remove the little circle detail above the sections, it gives the illusion that there's more content available by selecting the others

WUJLn.png

actually been meaning to do that for ages.

[edit: fix the cookie bug on thumped.com vs. thumped.com/bbs]

wish i could...

Get rid of widgets (last.fm/goodreads) from signature. Force character limit on signatures (there's probably something already, 140 chars would be ideal, tweet size). Ban images from ever appearing in signatures.

Can't be limited by character count, but as i said a few posts back there's a switch in your settings to disable signatures completely. Signatures now only display once per-page.

And the only images that should be appearing are the last.fm / goodreads ones.

Get rid of everything inside the red box:

hBDgS.png

I've dumped a lot of that out alright.

Gig Announcements forum needs to be sorted by date of gig and not by thread posted date (or user last post within a thread).

Don't think this can be done but i can look into it.

More forum templates, minimalist ones / bloated ones / ones that look like you're doing important work, etc. Up sell them to entice subscribers.

The mobile one (http://m.thumped.com) sort of serves as a minimalist style already. I'll see if i can find a good 'formal' looking one.

Increase number of posts per thread page (I automatically bump it to the max which is 40 here) but I'm guessing a lot of people aren't aware of this option. Default logged out thumped seems to be 10 which I think is too small.Bump to 20.

i'll check and see what I can do on that one, but unfortunately it's always going to be tied into pageviews, and when you're selling ads on a CPM basis and AJAX has already decimated your totals...

oh and i've stuck on image lazyload on threads. don't know if it'll make much difference except maybe on stuff like the animated gif thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back