What's wrong with thumped.com? (3 Viewers)

obama-smug.jpg

Re: Requests.

Is there any way to streamline the forums layout and have none of all these bells & whistles? It's frankly bewildering to come back after a while and try find anything here now as much as I'd like to.

Is there any way to streamline the forums layout and have none of all these bells & whistles? It's frankly bewildering to come back after a while and try find anything here now as much as I'd like to.

which bits?

Things like when I open up thumped.com/bbs I don't get the forums, I get activity.php which seems kinda useless to me. I'd like none of the "Like/Dislike", Facebook reccomend, twitter icons, google+ things etc. I'd like the bar along the right to go as well but I understand the ad removal is for subscribers only (or is that even still going). Even the top of the page is too busy with the Home/Forum/Features/Muisic etc on one side and then the What's New?/Forum (again)/Blogs/Wiki links on the other side along with the myriad of settings links under each one.

I don't mean to sound like someone who's moaning for older times or for the sake of it but part of what made Thumped so much easier to post on and allowed a lot faster posting overall was the simplicity. The content was in the threads, not all the added stuff like post notifications or whatever. I find there's way too many sub forums as well but that's just because I'm posting more on another forum that just has one single forum for everything (and actually has more posts than here) so it's weird to see so many.

Things like when I open up thumped.com/bbs I don't get the forums, I get activity.php which seems kinda useless to me.

that was a mistake - vb 4.2 has a new Navigation Manager for adding / removing menu items and i was mucking about with it...

I'd like none of the "Like/Dislike", Facebook reccomend, twitter icons, google+ things etc.

I'll see if there's a way to put in a user option to disable all "social" elements

I'd like the bar along the right to go as well but I understand the ad removal is for subscribers only (or is that even still going).

selling out - a necessary evil

Even the top of the page is too busy with the Home/Forum/Features/Muisic etc on one side and then the What's New?/Forum (again)/Blogs/Wiki links on the other side along with the myriad of settings links under each one.

That's a side effect of mashing joomla and vbulletin together. Not ideal.

I don't mean to sound like someone who's moaning for older times or for the sake of it but part of what made Thumped so much easier to post on and allowed a lot faster posting overall was the simplicity. The content was in the threads, not all the added stuff like post notifications or whatever. I find there's way too many sub forums as well but that's just because I'm posting more on another forum that just has one single forum for everything (and actually has more posts than here) so it's weird to see so many.

http://thumped.com/bbs/forumdisplay.php?92-All-Threads

+bajillion everything Gambra said.

I'll see if there's a way to put in a user option to disable all "social" elements

Making it opt-out makes it ugly for non-registered users of forum, would deter them from spending as much time browsing. Thumped isn't a sort of fly-by forum visit, usually you'll stick around to read a few pages/threads. Overloading non-reg'd users with ads/social bell & whistles is not gonna entice them. As I've said many times before, push the premium subscriptions. Even consider micro-subscriptions like newzbin do for their search at 30p a week.

+bajillion everything Gambra said.

Making it opt-out makes it ugly for non-registered users of forum, would deter them from spending as much time browsing. Thumped isn't a sort of fly-by forum visit, usually you'll stick around to read a few pages/threads. Overloading non-reg'd users with ads/social bell & whistles is not gonna entice them. As I've said many times before, push the premium subscriptions. Even consider micro-subscriptions like newzbin do for their search at 30p a week.

the like / dislike stuff only appears if you're signed in. i'm still very much on the fence on the twitter / facebook etc stuff on here.

the ads pay the bills. the subs are just there so people have the option to turn the ads off but to be honest the subs are loss making.

Lots of the older posters are too busy to contribute to the forums.
Younger people use Facebook and all those other social networks.

It's just a very different internet to five/six years ago.

Is there any way to link it to Twitter feeds and Facebook posts? As in when a Thumped member posts to Twitter or Facebook it can get captured somewhere on Thumped - or vice versa?

well, if you do the facebook integration (the link is up the top) then you'll have a new option when posting to publish the post / thread you make here to your Facebook account, so i suppose eventually they'll do it for twitter too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back