What's the worst place you've ever visited? (1 Viewer)

Jaysis, I thought Barcelona was great. Biked around it like a motherfucker.
A lot cheaper than Paris. Which is also fecking great, in fairness.

Both my brothers said it's a great place but I've just read too many bad stories about pickpockets and bag snatching etc.. I'd just rather go somewhere I don't feel I have to watch my back so much.

Both my brothers said it's a great place but I've just read too many bad stories about pickpockets and bag snatching etc.. I'd just rather go somewhere I don't feel I have to watch my back so much.
That's only really around Las Ramblas tbh, which is the tackiest, shittiest part of the place imo. It's a cool city, lots of great stuff going on, and it has a beach!
Anyhoo, Paris is amazingly beautiful and would be high on any of my Recommends list. Enjoy!

I won the holiday, and the hotel they offered in Barca is on that Ramblas place. The break is supposed to be for two people but they were going to include the child even though I'd offered to pay for him separate. So then I said Paris but they won't include the child and they want me to book his flight myself, which I can't because he's a minor and I can't book him on a flight without also booking an adult. So I offer to pay the travel agent the difference directly and they can book us all together. But that's too complicated of course so I'm getting 'well it's really only for two people' schtick now even though it was all grand before. Now I've a pain in my arse with the whole thing and I don't want to go anywhere. Ever.

Paris is great too. I've yet to run out of things to do there (and still haven't been to the Louvre despite having been there 3-4 times).

Barcelona is a great city with a lot to recommend it but I don't think it's the kind of place for a gawky touristy weekend un accompanied- The Ramblas and Gothic Quarter are dodgy as fook - pickockets, muggers and a complicit local police when I was there in 2007. I was lucky to get out alive...

To make a horrible generalisation I found the Catalans to be a distillation of some of the worst elements of French and Spanish culture- I wouldn't be rushing back...

Diddles; Bilbao is amazing- I think Aer Lingus still fly there direct...

Have Paris sorted now @tommytrousers, had to pay for the child in the end but that's fine and I figured we'd be better off going somewhere I'd normally balk at paying full price for, we'd probably never go to Paris otherwise.

You'll have to fill me in on your Spanish experiences over a few ales soon!

Some fuckers tried to mug me there.

That's awful, it really doesn't sound like a nice place at all. A friend of mine had his wallet stolen walking from a taxi into his hotel. It's not really a holiday if you have to be so wary and I have my kid to consider too.

I was in Berlin on my own last week, walked everywhere and was no more worried for my safety or my possessions than I would be in Dublin. I know nowhere is crime free and you have to have a bit of savvy when out and about, but you would expect a better degree of safety and policing in a major tourist destination like Barcelona. Tourist advice sites telling you to dress like the locals and not to look at maps in public don't exactly inspire confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back