What's the story with Frank Zappa? (1 Viewer)

flashback

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'd like to know why I'm mistaken here.

Frank was the every bit the lyricist that Lou was.

They're both great

I had a flick through John Cale's autobiography the other day looking for Zappa stuff. In addition to the mutual dislike and disrespect it seems that VU and the Mothers shared management/producer/something at some level and were slightly resentful that stuff was getting done and money was being spent for Zappa and not for the VU e.g. getting albums released. I couldn't find the quote where he said of Zappa something like "I can understand a musician who goes to such lengths to make his music so unlikable" . Something like that, I probably have it wrong.

Zappa's early records are cool but a lot of his work is awful.
his obsession with perfect musicianship was silly. Zappa comes across as a smart arse who points out the problems and doesn't really offer many solutions but I'm very glad he existed.
+1 to all this. "Let's make the water turn black" is one of the most original songs I've ever heard (the lyrics aren't much, but the music is amazing)

+1 to all this. "Let's make the water turn black" is one of the most original songs I've ever heard (the lyrics aren't much, but the music is amazing)
Live instrumental version from 1968.

WOIIFTM was first Zappa record I checked out.

WOIIFTM was first Zappa record I checked out.
I bought a compilation first, then that - actually never found another of his albums I liked as much ... though my Zappa phase was during the time when I had no money and had to borrow CDs from the library, so no doubt I missed a lot of stuff

For me Zappa is best enjoyed by listening to his live stuff as he did loads of versions of different tunes - and it's the tunes that matter as the lyrics are usually throwaway and the humour and satire has faded. The You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore set of albums is worth checking out. Also his orchestral stuff, e.g. the Yellow Shark, Lumpy Gravy and any of his instrumental work from the early albums such as Peaches En Regalia. Uncle Meat is good, Hot Rats, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, The Grand Wazoo etc. By the time he got to Sheik Yerbouti he was turning into I dunno, the Jordan Peterson of rock or something, and the '80s were not kind to him.

Here. I've seen a few Frank Zappa interviews and the lad seems to be an agonizing cunt altogether.

I've thought this for a while, but kept it quiet. I'm a bit of an agonizing cunt myself at times, so glass houses and all that.

But I'd be curious if I'm the only cunt out there who thinks this. Everyone seems to consider him a deity, a bit like John Lennon only with less beating of women. I can't really see a huge number of redeeming features of the cunt at all, other than his name, which is class obviously.

I'd like to know why I'm mistaken here.

You are mistaken, the man was genius!

I had a listen to Uncle Meat yesterday morning, it's so good! Then I was reading the Invisible Jukebox with Steve Shelley and Lee Ranaldo in the new Wire and Lee was talking about this Zappa documentary from a couple of years ago directed by Alex Winter which I didn't know about so I watched it last night. It's pretty good. I never knew he spent 6 months in jail for vice squad entrapment bullshit! I wonder if that drove some of his apparently deep cynicism and fixation on smutty topics. Anyway he doesn't come across as a nice guy as such and I still think the end of the first Mothers was the end of it all really but I've warmed to him a bit. Listening to the Yellow Shark now. Civilization Phase III is another good one from the 90s.

I never knew he spent 6 months in jail for vice squad entrapment bullshit
Read that in his autobiography - he actually only did 10 days, the rest of the sentence was suspended. Still though, pretty fucking appalling. America was/is such a fucked up place

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back